help please! 7 day old chick tucking its head and rolling onto its back!

Lazy Gardener, thank you! I believe it has wry neck also from what I have researched based on the comments everyone has been kind enough to make.
I went to the store this morning and got vitamin e liquid gel capsules and the poly-vi-sol. I did manage to get a bit of vitamin e into it with the capsule. :)
Can I put a few drops of the poly vi Sol in its water also? How often should I try with the vitamin e capsule?

The B vitamins are important for muscle development. You can also try save-a-chick in the water. It makes a gallon, but you can refrig it for quite a bit. Don't nuke it to warm it though. Another thing is getting some of the SUPER B pills at the store, for people. One pill in a gallon, crushed up, add a little warm water to dissolve and stir. You can refig this too for a bit. Or cut pill in half and make half gallon, ect.

If you have the time for a special needs chicken, I would say, looking at your vids, it could make it. It will have permanent problems although a chick it's size, should be fine, if they are raised together, there shouldn't be integration issues. Try the same breed.

The only thing you don't know, is if there is major internal damage. Time will tell you that. Best of luck with your chick and I'd say give it a try, if you really want to. The chick didn't look like it was suffering. They are loud when they hurt, are hungry, thirsty.

Personally, because of the way things work here, I would cull it, BUT...that is me and I don't do special needs here. We breed for the best, definitely keep that poor chick out of any gene pool.

Best of luck!

The B vitamins are important for muscle development. You can also try save-a-chick in the water. It makes a gallon, but you can refrig it for quite a bit. Don't nuke it to warm it though. Another thing is getting some of the SUPER B pills at the store, for people. One pill in a gallon, crushed up, add a little warm water to dissolve and stir. You can refig this too for a bit. Or cut pill in half and make half gallon, ect.

If you have the time for a special needs chicken, I would say, looking at your vids, it could make it. It will have permanent problems although a chick it's size, should be fine, if they are raised together, there shouldn't be integration issues. Try the same breed.

The only thing you don't know, is if there is major internal damage. Time will tell you that. Best of luck with your chick and I'd say give it a try, if you really want to. The chick didn't look like it was suffering. They are loud when they hurt, are hungry, thirsty.

Personally, because of the way things work here, I would cull it, BUT...that is me and I don't do special needs here. We breed for the best, definitely keep that poor chick out of any gene pool.

Best of luck!

I fully agree with you and rc4u because I don't have time to take care of babies here that have issues. On a regular chicken farm like ours is where we have selective breeding something like that would have been culled and thrown out. When I have like I will in May with 200 chicks, I can't spend the time with one chick. That's just way to much time to have to worry about. Last year i took time out to take care of 4 babies that had issues and after they all passed anyways I realized then and there it's a waste of time. Best to just get rid of them, and go on with what needs to be done. However I think this lady has time to do it, since she has just the 1, but many of us don't.

I fully agree with you and rc4u because I don't have time to take care of babies here that have issues. On a regular chicken farm like ours is where we have selective breeding something like that would have been culled and thrown out. When I have like I will in May with 200 chicks, I can't spend the time with one chick. That's just way to much time to have to worry about. Last year i took time out to take care of 4 babies that had issues and after they all passed anyways I realized then and there it's a waste of time. Best to just get rid of them, and go on with what needs to be done. However I think this lady has time to do it, since she has just the 1, but many of us don't.

Yup. Although she did say she was going to re-home it, after raising it, to a local farm. I doubt the farm will want a special needs chicken either. Maybe someone might, but as a working farm? If I were her, I'd talk to the farm before going too much longer and getting attached or another chick.

We just don't have time for the chicks that aren't going to thrive. I like that broody hens will take care of even that for me
wink.png
I have no problem processing for meat, but a bit harder when I have to cull a chick. I have one that I might have to. It's not an easy decision for lots of people. Especially if they are pets. They are livestock here, but do get spoiled and pampered a bit
wink.png

As OP stated, she has the one chick that came home from school with her son. This chick is not part of a farm flock, and will not be part of a breeding program, and she is already attached to it. So, if she gives it her best shot, she'll know that she did that, and if the chick survives, that will be great. I have a BSL from last years hatch that started the moon walk when she was about 3 months old. She only did it in the morning, and also appears to have a bit of an inner ear problem. The issue seems to be worse when she is stressed, such as with a molt. So, when she had an exacerbation of her symptoms, I gave her a couple of doses of Nutri-drench, and she immediately cleared up. She is my best layer. But, I would never set an egg from her. Should she be culled? Definitely, from the stand point of a farmer. But, for the small BY flock, without a breeding program, I think we have a different paradigm. She's a pet, and if her function and quality of life are acceptable, all is well.

KL115. Yes, you can put the Polivisol in the water, though I don't know how much. As far as the other products that come in the envelope to make a gallon of fluid: I'm the ultimate cheap skate, and will not mix up a gallon that needs to be refrigerated and eventually thrown away. So what I did, was pour the packet out into a plate... divide it in half... divide one of those halves into half... Now, you have 1/4 of the packet which will mix up a quart... but you only have one chick. So you can divide that 1/4 packet into fourths again, and you have 4 doses that will make up a cup of solution each. Measure one of those doses, and you'll know how much powder to put in a cup every time you mix it. You can also bypass the packets altogether and make up your own electrolyte solution. Do a thread search, and you'll find all kinds of recipes. You can give the chick a boost by giving it fermented feed, which will give it a healthy dose of pro-biotics for a healthy gut that will absorb all of those vitamins that you are giving it. You could also put the vitamins directly in the fermented feed when you serve it. Do a thread search re: fermented feed. It can be made in small amounts using your regular chick starter feed.

Thank you lazy gardener and everyone for your relies! LG, I appreciate all of your help! :)
This chick would not be going to a farm. My friend had 12 chickens and is going to take this little one too. She does not breed.
I do not feel at this point that it is suffering.
Here's a video that I just took
My chick day 8:

On a completely unrelated note: my mother in law fell and broke her knee and leg today. Surgery tomorrow. Prayers for her & my little Chickie are much appreciated!
:'( I have someone coming to check on my chick while I'm gone!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom