Help please, a few questions.

icewb8

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 22, 2007
I've got some gold laced polish and orpington eggs coming in from Ideal hatchery next week and I had a few questions before its time to put them in. I always here about marking the eggs with an X and O, but I don't know what to use, would just a regular number 2 pencil be fine or would that leach into the egg or something? Also for my brooder box what time of litter should I use? I plan on putting newspaper over the litter for the first few days but still have no idea what type of litter I need. And has anyone ever bought eggs from Ideal before to calm my nerves?

Thanks!

Hi Ice,
You can use a pencil to mark the eggs, or a Sharpie marker --- there's no reason to be concerned about either of those 'leeching' thru the shell.
I think paper towelling is recommended as opposed to newspaper (something about newspaper being slippery?).
Good luck with the IDEAL eggs. I've only ordered chicks from them.
I'd be interested to see how they package them and such
smile.png

Happy Hatching!
Lisa

Thanks all! And one more question I will be turning them by hand since there is no turner and I write the X's and O's on the sides and not the end correct? I just want to make sure I don't mess anything up.

What I learned was that if you dont have a turner, sit them on their sides with the small end sort of pointed down. I think this is the way hens incubate their eggs (except w/o the markings). Mark an X on 1 side, and an O on the other. That way when you turn them, you know which side they need to be flipped to on the next turn.

I can't imagine not having a turner, it makes life so much simpler! Tell us how many hatch, I have always been afraid to have eggs shipped, because I've heard they do so poorly. I think it's more fun to hatch them yourself!

I have had eggs shipped from east coast of canada to BC and still get great hatches. As long as you deal with a good breeder and one who knows how to pack them the risk is minimal.

Just never have the box marked as EGGS. It seems idiots in the post office can't resist shaking them up.

I got eggs shipped to me from an in state source. The post office made a weak attempt to deliver them. I had to go the next day and pick them up. I was kind of nervous about it, since I'm a newb to chickens. But I got an 82% hatch rate on it. I incubated 13, and 11 hatched. Both the ones that didn't make it were full term embryos. I accidentally tore a piece of shell off of one early in the incubation, but in the end, the membrane was too tough for it to break through. The other one pipped but died before hatching. It would have been kewl to have a 100% hatch rate, but I guess I'm happy with the ones that did hatch. I just can't believe I actually hatched eggs
fl.gif

Ok I've got some more questions, what type of feed should I use for the chicks that is un-medicated? Also for the feeder and waterer can I just use like a hamster food dish or something instead of buying a "chick feeder".

Since you are hatching the eggs the chicks should be fed medicated chick starter to prevent cocci. Farm stores sell chick feeders and waterers very inexpensive and worth every dime. Chicks need a small trough to drink from and the feeders keep the feed from being spilled and pooed in. Talk to farm store personal to help you with what you need.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom