Help please. Black Australorp or Barred Rock? Roo or Hen?

Laura Burg

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2021
Hi! Can anyone provide some insight on this little one? I wanted a Black Australorp, but she (he?) looks more like a Barred Rock to me. S/he is approximately 3 weeks old in this pic. Also, I am hoping "Sue Bird" is a hen, but am thinking she may be a rooster? I did choose her from a pullet bin marked as "Black Autralorp" at a local agricultural store, but I know that isn't always 100% I had to re-home a rooster two years ago, and it broke my heart. Hoping I do not have to go that route again, but I know I don't have enough hens to keep a rooster happy.

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_223810324_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20210808_223810324_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 31
  • SurBird1.jpg
    SurBird1.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210808_223832384_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20210808_223832384_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    425.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210808_223840791_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20210808_223840791_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    598.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Hi! Can anyone provide some insight on this little one? I wanted a Black Australorp, but she (he?) looks more like a Barred Rock to me. S/he is approximately 3 weeks old in this pic. Also, I am hoping "Sue Bird" is a hen, but am thinking she may be a rooster? I did choose her from a pullet bin marked as "Black Autralorp" at a local agricultural store, but I know that isn't always 100% I had to re-home a rooster two years ago, and it broke my heart. Hoping I do not have to go that route again, but I know I don't have enough hens to keep a rooster happy.
This is a barred rock chick. Can't be sure on the gender yet, in a few weeks it will be easier to tell. I'm leaning towards cockerel

This is a barred rock chick. Can't be sure on the gender yet, in a few weeks it will be easier to tell. I'm leaning towards cockerel
Thanks for the confirmation on the Barred Rock. I love them, but already have, so am disappointed that the store said they were Black Australorps, but I guess should have known from the white spot on the head. Fingers crossed that this baby turns out to be a she.

Hi. A Black Australorp may have a white tip or two on a wing feather at that age, but it won't be clearly barred like your chick is. And I am no expert on BR, but I'm guessing cockerel too, isn't that what the white spot on the head indicates? If not, I stand to be educated!

Same thing happened to me. I told the store about their mistake and they gave me the Black Australorps. They couldn't take the barred rocks back so I have them all now.
I also think cockerel ... pullets have small narrow spots on head... male large spots.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me. I told the store about their mistake and they gave me the Black Australorps. They couldn't take the barred rocks back so I have them all now.
I also think cockerel ... pullets have small narrow spots on head... male large spots.
Good idea with calling the store. I will give them a try today. Maybe if they give me another pullet, I may have enough to keep the rooster happy, if that's what s/he turns out to be. Just not sure if 9 hens will be enough, especially b/c a few of them are older (6 years old). Thanks again for the info.

What breed is the chick under your barred rock in pic 4? That looks like it could be an Australorp! What else do you have? I see what I’m guessing is an Egger & a Sapphire Gem? ❤️

What breed is the chick under your barred rock in pic 4? That looks like it could be an Australorp! What else do you have? I see what I’m guessing is an Egger & a Sapphire Gem? ❤️
Great job identifying the chicks! Yes on the Sapphire Gem and the Easter Egger. The little black one is supposed to be a Midnight Marans - at least that was what the store said.

Back
Top Bottom