help please black combs on chickens

leeannwalker

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland Australia.

We recently lost our black australorp chicken. See photo above. As you can see her comb went black and floppy she just sat around and despite bringing her inside and nursing her my husband had to put her out of her misery. Now it looks like my Sussex is going the same way! I wormed them last week and they have been dusted with mite powder. We cleaned out and disinfected the coop after Kendra died. Please help I don't want to loose Bridgit too! Our red leghorn is fine at the moment. They have all just mounted and are not laying.

We recently lost our black australorp chicken. See photo above. As you can see her comb went black and floppy she just sat around and despite bringing her inside and nursing her my husband had to put her out of her misery. Now it looks like my Sussex is going the same way! I wormed them last week and they have been dusted with mite powder. We cleaned out and disinfected the coop after Kendra died. Please help I don't want to loose Bridgit too! Our red leghorn is fine at the moment. They have all just mounted and are not laying.

A friend of mine has the same problem with one of his hens. I posted it ,but no one has responded.... If you figure out what is wrong please let me know

What's the feather like? The only time I have ever seen black on combs is from frostbite.
I am not sure though, hope someone else responds.

My BA have black on the tips of their combs... I was looking at Favus pictures, and saw some that looked similar..... I'm new to this, so maybe someone with experience will chime in... I'm curious too....

I was thinking the same. My rooster had black tips on the comb, but it was just frostbite. I would like to know if it could be something else, though. I looked online and all I could find is frostbite and possibly a fungal infection, but nobody knew what kind of infection it could be. That chicken recovered. Idunno

My friend has a barred Plymouth Rock roo and that has happend on many occasions but it has been small. When she see any sight if it she applies Neosporin to the comb and wattles. It becomes instantly redder and the black slowly goes away. I hope this helps.

thank you all, I will get some Neosporin this afternoon and give it a try. Feathers seem to be coming back nicely after moult. I put wormer in their water again today and will redust for mites again tonight. I'm afraid it couldn't be frostbite, I live in Queensland Australia, my chooks have never seen a frost in their life. :)

The only thing I did think of, we had some mice chew their way into the feed bin, is it possible they accidentally ate some mouse droppings and have picked something up?

Back
Top Bottom