Help Please! Chick can't stand.

operator16

Songster
9 Years
May 15, 2010
Colorado
My 8 week old Brahma gal has been fine up until yesterday. She is having problems standing. She tries to get up on her legs, but then lurches her chest, neck, and head forwards and lies there. She will curl her toes around my finger. But, she doesn't seem to have the strength to push her legs against my hand.

She will eat if I move the food and water near her head. I have been giving her a syringe of water, sugar, poly-vi-sol liquid baby vitamins, and greek yogurt. What could be going on??

The only thing different I have done is move the chicks to organic, non-medicated feed this last week. However, since last night she's been inside with me and I am giving her only medicated feed again. What could be wrong? I know others have had this problem. I just cannot remember what they did that fixed it.

Please, please send your thoughts my way. I really appreciate your help!!!

Oh my gosh!!! I just poured in the new bag when the old stuff ran out. We've always done it slowly for the cats and dogs. I didn't even think of that for my chickens. Have I done damage to her???

Quote:

well no not necessarily, it might not be the issue, but with any animal you should use a week to slowly transition...since you said you switched her right back to the medicated diet keep her there, how old is she? maybe add some yogart as a treat (a small!!!! amount) and also when offering her water make sure it has a touch of sugar shaken well it in...i believe it 1 teaspooon per quart but im not fresh on my chicken sugar water knowledge so i might wait until someone can exactly tell you the correct sugar water mixture
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom