Help please!!! Diarrhea with this type of poop

Petitebird

Songster
Dec 24, 2020
What is this kind of poop indicating? The vet said that he got Giardia, and prescribed metronidazole 0.3ml once a day for 7 days, but the diarrhea would not stop. The sick chicken only drinks, stopped eating from last night. His crop does not empty, either feeling watery or like dough. I put electrolytes and vitamins and acv in the water, but what else can I do? Should I hand feed him eggs and other things or just wait the crop to empty.

The diarrhea is really bad, how to stop it. Please help if you can. TIA.

Attachments

• IMG_2377.jpeg
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 5
Green poop usually means they aren't eating, or eating enough.

Does his breath smell sour? If so he may have sour crop.
No smell at all, just poop water and this bean dregs like poop. He was on Baytril for five days from the first vet visit. I am so hoping this diahrrea would stop and the crop will be empty.

No smell at all, just poop water and this bean dregs like poop. He was on Baytril for five days from the first vet visit. I am so hoping this diahrrea would stop and the crop will be empty.
Try probiotics, since Antibiotics also kill off good bacteria in the gut.

The vet prescribed metronidazole for another 7 days, this is also an antibiotics. I was told not to use probiotics with antibiotics.
Using both together is beneficial apparently. This is talking about people, but could also be beneficial for chickens as well.
Screenshot_20240130-124040_Chrome.jpg

I would stop the ACV, electrolytes and vitamins in the water. Try offering a small amount of cooked rice with buttermilk or plain yogurt. Then some cooked egg. The vitamins and electrolytes could be giving the yellow diarrhea. I agree that with all of the strong antibiotics, the gut flora is probably a mess. You might send your poop picture to your vet also.

Back
Top Bottom