Help, please. Egg Bound?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Donna5, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Donna5

Donna5 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    My 1 yr old Orpington appeared to be trying to hatch the golf balls in her coop on sunday. Today, tuesday I picked her up to get food and water and that's when I noticed her walking like she's "got a stick up her butt" she has been very cranky and ruffly feathered. He tail is dipped down slightly. From my reading it appears to be egg bound. We gave her a warm bath, put some olive oil on her vent and caged her in the house on a heating pad.

I just noticed she has pooped, I'm just not sure but I thought is she was egg bound the poop would be too?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Donna

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    When is the last time she laid an egg? Is she eating and drinking?

Since you said that it seemed like she was trying to hatch the golf balls, I wonder if she was broody? Did she growl and peck at you when you moved her from the nest?

3. Donna5

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    At first I assumed she was broody because she grumbled when I looked under her for eggs. I have 8 chickens, but I don't think she has laid for a day or so. She didn't come out of her nest box until I took her out today. After I gave her a warm bath she ate a little bread, but then I feared she is unable to poop(am I right?) is egg bound. I put some chicken feed in her cage but so far she is not interested

4. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Here Is a link to the info below. does this sound like your hen?

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Diagnose Egg Binding

• Symptoms: When a laying hen is egg bound, she will walk with legs wide apart like a penguin.She will visit the nest frequently, straining to lay an egg, and her vent will look reddened and stick out some. She may pass white urates without poop. She won't eat or drink much.
      • Straining may cause internal hemorrhaging or extreme exhaustion that can lead to death.
    • Treatment: Sit the hen in a warm bath up to about her middle for 30 mins. and see if that helps her pass the egg.
    • The problem may re-occur. Watch the hen for symptoms that she may have another egg stuck inside her.

5. Donna5

Feb 18, 2011
    Wadsworth, IL
    Thank you for the great site. From here I was able to locate a vet who will treat a chicken if needed.

I still cannot really diagnosis her yet. Her vent appears clean and normal, although I must admit as to not having a lot of experience on close up vent examination! I will give her another warm bath tomorrow and hope for the best.

Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by