HELP!!!!! PLEASE Huge Rooster Dilemma

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by duckking, Sep 26, 2011.

1. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Hi everyone - We ended up with 2 cockerels (supposed to be hens). One cockerel has become dominant and the other is basically an outcast. He sleeps in the coop with everyone else, but stays away from the pack unless a hen comes too near and he tries to mount her. Of course the dominant guy will have none of this. The isolated boy also had a broken leg, which has repaired itself and you can barely see a limp anymore.

Having cockerels has completely changed the dynamics of the yard. The oldest hens hate both of them. The younger hens were brought up with them, so they tolerate them. We decided to just get rid of both of them and return to peace and quiet. Problem is we adore both the boys so decided to keep one. But which one? If we remove the dominant rooster, will the other one take his place or will he always be the outcast? Or if we get rid of the beta one, will it calm things down in the coop, but will he be an outcast in a new situation because of his leg?

We found a 'forever home' for one or both, but they are both lovable, sweet boys. Would the dominant one be able to fend for himself better in a new home or will the beta rooster get picked on and remain a lonely boy?

HELP!!!! We are bouncing back and forth like pin balls and I am getting a headache.....Any suggestions???? PLEASE????

2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Do like we did and keep a bachelor pad...you get to keep both boys then.

Usually if you remove the Alpha, the Beta will step up. But can't promise the girls will like him any better.

3. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

As much as i hate myself for saying it, i would get rid of the weaker one. But find someone on BYC to take him, they are all kind people and usually wont eat themm, they see them as pets.[​IMG] the weaker one has a greater chance of getting picked on by the hens and then you have a problem again, but if the bigger one is mean I would get rid of them both.[​IMG]

4. pdbantam

pdbantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2011
    South Mississippi
    I'd keep the strong, healthy one for breeding - but that's just me. [​IMG]

5. Smarcebird

Smarcebird Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Durango, CO
    We had the same thing happen. Actually had 3 roos we had to choose from. We chose the one who was the friendliest. He had definitely stepped it up to be "the Man", but is still super sweet with us. He was also the smallest of the bunch, the girls love him!

6. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Thanks everyone. They are both super sweet, that's the problem. I am just concerned that the weaker one will not do well in a new environment, the older hens will hate whoever is left anyway. We also have a drake who is possibly the reason for the weaker one's broken leg, but generally he doesn't bother either of them anymore.....now that they know who is REALLY boss. UGH!!!! We have until tomorrow to decide. I was going to give them up today....but panicking that we make the right decision. Either way, one will be greatly missed. The woman who said she'd take them gives them forever homes apparently. She was recommended by our favourite feed store person.

Son will be home in a couple of hours.....oh the angst!!!!! Darn chickens and ducks.....wheedle their way into your hearts and stick in their like worms.....[​IMG]

Thanks for the advice [​IMG]

7. duckking

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Just spoke to the woman who is going to take them. She promised whatever we decided, they will not be eaten. Her thought was keep the weaker one and let him get up to the plate, have a bat and see what happens......I think it's going to come down to our reaction when we are trying to get one or both into the dog kennel......you know....ACK...I really don't want him to go.....That kind of last minute decision....UGH again!!!

8. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Unless you are breeding them I would keep the weaker one so he would not have to go through the pecking order dynamics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by