HELP please. Need to introduce ONE chick to four hens!

Chickchix

In the Brooder
11 Years
Feb 7, 2008
We have four hens, about three years old. A neighbor wants to get rid of one chick and no one will take it. Is there any way I can get one of my hens to accept the chick? I've only ever had this one flock and we raised those 5 from chicks (one was attacked by a hawk and died at 2 years old, so now we have 4). Any advice? I can put a brooder together, but it's just the one chick. I do have a Silver-laced Wyandotte who is sweet, but not broody. Please help!

You could seperate your silver -laced - Wyandotte from the others put 6 golf balls in one spot and if she goes broody at night put the chick under her
wink.png

I doubt it, and you risk having them kill the chick. The best option would be to get another chick to raise with this one, and when they are older pullets, gradually introduce them to the existing flock. Start by putting the two pullets in a dog crate (or wire rabbit cage, etc.) in the coop with the others for a week or so, so the other hens can see the newbies and get used to the idea of the "intruders" being among the flock.
Putting one sole chick in with them will very likely be a death sentence for the chick, and a horrendous death at that.

Last edited:
If it is a young chick with no feathers I would set up a little brooder. When the chick gets older or if it is older now, simply placing it in the pen may get it picked on. To introduce it to the other chickens, I would place a small pen made of wire inside of the chicken pen and place the young chicken inside so that the other chickens get used to it. Not all chickens will pick on new additions to the flock, but this is what I do when they are acting thay way. I used this recently when adding some to our flock. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Good advice, and I recommend waiting until the chicks are close to adult size before attempting to blend them in.

Thank you for all the advice. Since this little chick is most likely just a few days old, it sounds like, unless I have a broody hen, it will be a no go.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom