help please! pekin duck

Thanks for the tag.

I don't have experience with a niacin deficiency, but I have plenty of experience with a pekin with a painful foot. To help with that my vet recommended keeping my duck on soft clean surfaces, like thick layers of towels, 4-6 inches of straw, or clean grass. They had me keep her warm and dry, so inside in cold or wet weather. And they had me give pain medication for life.

We considered a duck wheelchair if pain medication didn't help. I think handicapped pets makes one for ducks.

Also, my understanding is that most people use the injectable niacin orally.

Can you take her to a vet?
She's been to a vet. Only one vet in my area sees waterfowl & they are limited on what they can do.

Okay so do both feet. And you can also buy duck shoes But making them for the time being just to get her started would be best. Lots of warm water swim therapy of course you'll have to take her shoes off for that. Give her every chance. I've seen some really good outcomes using the Liquid b complex.

Okay so do both feet. And you can also buy duck shoes But making them for the time being just to get her started would be best. Lots of warm water swim therapy of course you'll have to take her shoes off for that. Give her every chance. I've seen some really good outcomes using the Liquid b complex.
I have her in a baby pool right now if I let her go back to the pond right now she will run away from me again. I've looked for duck shoes and can't find?

UPDATE

She received her first dose of injectable niacin this morning & her feet have been shoed and wrapped up to ankles. I will take them off later today to let her feet dry out/breathe and reapply. Hoping for a turn around for this girl.

Any types of feed that may lure him up?

Something I have heard people doing is having friends over and someone gets into a kayak and herds the duck to shore to where friends have made a tunnel so the duck has to walk or run between the people to a crate awaiting him. It may mean someone has to get their legs wet. Or if the pond isn't too large taking a long rope of something similar and having one on one side one on the other and drag it across the pond behind the said duck then someone needs to catch him when he gets out of the pond.
it would be nice if they could be together. Do you feed them at the pond? maybe start gradually bringing feed up closer and closer to a fenced-in area. I used a dog portable fence to catch two drakes someone dumped into the river below us. I fed them for a week then gradually put the feed father back into the fence until they had to walk all the way inside that day I closed the gate picked them up and brought them home.

Any types of feed that may lure him up?

Something I have heard people doing is having friends over and someone gets into a kayak and herds the duck to shore to where friends have made a tunnel so the duck has to walk or run between the people to a crate awaiting him. It may mean someone has to get their legs wet. Or if the pond isn't too large taking a long rope of something similar and having one on one side one on the other and drag it across the pond behind the said duck then someone needs to catch him when he gets out of the pond.
it would be nice if they could be together. Do you feed them at the pond? maybe start gradually bringing feed up closer and closer to a fenced-in area. I used a dog portable fence to catch two drakes someone dumped into the river below us. I fed them for a week then gradually put the feed father back into the fence until they had to walk all the way inside that day I closed the gate picked them up and brought them home.
This is a good idea! Currently have a large auto feeder out there.

Keep us updated please
I will! The duck shows and bandages have helped so far, only 1 dose of niacin so far. Her right foot is actually pointed in the right direction now so I am hoping that's a good sign. Her left is still poor but hoping she continues to get better.

Back
Top Bottom