Help please. peritonitis?

sljack2006

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Ohio
My hen, Violet, a lavender orpington, has multiple symptoms and I am not sure which direction to go with her.
She is walking very slow, choosing to stand a majority of the time, weight loss, not eating, and has yellow/white diarrhea, She has no abdominal swelling. I do not feel any hardened areas in her abdomen or vent (eggs). I have had her inside on oral tylan/amoxicillin in her water, along with vitamins in her water. I have had her in an epson salt bath. I have given her extra calcium. There is no improvement...she is only getting worse. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on and if there is anything else I can do for her? Thank you

My hen, Violet, a lavender orpington, has multiple symptoms and I am not sure which direction to go with her.
She is walking very slow, choosing to stand a majority of the time, weight loss, not eating, and has yellow/white diarrhea, She has no abdominal swelling. I do not feel any hardened areas in her abdomen or vent (eggs). I have had her inside on oral tylan/amoxicillin in her water, along with vitamins in her water. I have had her in an epson salt bath. I have given her extra calcium. There is no improvement...she is only getting worse. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on and if there is anything else I can do for her? Thank you
I'm sorry
hugs.gif

Any photos of her and the poop?

It sounds like you are doing everything you can for her. With her standing and not being able to settle it sound like she is uncomfortable. Peritonitis, doesn't always have swelling/bloat. From your description, this is what I would automatically think -some type of internal laying/reproductive disorder (Peritonitis, Salpingitis, cancer or tumors).

Antibiotic treatment for any of these conditions usually is not that successful. Some do see short term rebound only to have illness take them in a few weeks to a couple of months after treatment has ended.

I wish I had better answers.

Back
Top Bottom