HELP please -- ratio issues? 18 week (3 drakes 1 girl) - need wisdom - insights

feathersweet

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 5, 2013
Hi - We received our precious ducklings and have been raising them as pets. (Just finished building beautiful home). They love it! Their sex identities became clear a few days ago -- 3 drakes (1 Pekin, 1 Khaki Campbell, 1 Magpie) and the girl is a Rouen (Mallard).

They have been happy ducks together with the Pekin the top of the pecking order (but no issues). This evening (we live in California) we let them out to play and noticed a special dance of bouncing, bobbing heads. The Pekin Drake started to chase and nip the Magpie Drake. And yes, while the Magpie Drake and Khaki Campbell Drake were strolling around...we saw Pekin Drake climb onto our female for moment.

Questions. Tonight, what do we do to protect them? (Their home is a wood children's playhouse that an adult can get into too (completely protected) with a fully protected with a welded wire, large side porch. The porch and home has great floors(with shavings). Completely secure. We removed the female Rouen and Magpie Drake (most docile/connected but shy) in a completely contained large atrium area in our home. (The large Pekin Drake seemed the most interested in our female Rouen...and he (Pekin) only chased the Magpie Drake, nipping on the side of his wings.

Please share your thoughts of what would be wise as we move forward. (We have 10 hens in 3 safe, large chicken coops).

We love our Ducks (and hens) -- and want to do the right thing every step of the way.

Thank you for your time, wisdom and consideration.

Last edited:
You are going to need to either separate/rehome two of your drakes or get more females. Three drakes will overmate or potentially injure your one duck. Even with just one drake you will need 2 or 3 more ducks. Drakes can be particularly aggressive breeders. Placing separated drakes in with your chicken hens would be a bad idea. They will very likely start breeding the chickens which can result in serious injury/death. Good luck at working things out.

Thank you for your notes. I have read books on Raising Ducks but when the dynamic of your baby ducklings gender comes to light...I am discovering more information is needed.
roll.png

We will look today for several more confirmed, female ducks (add two more females?). (Not so easy to get adult females in our area, though...we will visit area feed stores. Already looked on craigslist and there are lots of drakes available...not one female).

Should we look at adding 2 more females (to our current 3 drakes and 1 female family). (We know there are no guarantees but would like some ratio advice to even out our numbers.) Is it better to get same breeds (or same weight category) ? Or, any female of any breed will help in terms of ratio?

We separated the 1 female and 1 mild mannered drake last night in our home atrium. This morning we let all 4 ducks out to roam together. They are all foraging -- happily, together. For the past couple hours no issues but we know it could change. I read giving them more exercise out for longer times, can help reduce the dynamics. (We are keeping an eye on them.)

I have read (in books and online) that many rehome their drakes...but we got them as ducklings with a "forever" heartbeat...but safety is number one. (Of course, too we built their home, porch and duck park with the 4-6 square foot philosophy. Adding more ducks will impact that...almost, funny. More ducks, more wood, more construction = ) or, reconfiguring.)

If you have any additional recommendations on the number ratio -- or, any other wisdom on how to transition wisely, we would love to hear them.

Curious, can three drakes live happily together if we were to rehome the female? (We don't want to do that...but I am curious since we are living the experience and sharing with other friends).

Also, do some ducks that are raised together from birth ever get along -- regardless of their gender? Or, is it always that Mother Nature rules?

I appreciate your time and thoughts. Thank you, again!

Last edited:
Maybe on the all drake flock. Some keep all drake flocks with no problems. In other instances the more dominant drakes may start treating the less dominant as hens again presenting the possibility of injury during these 'gang breedings'.

Right. (I did read about something like that while downloading on information)...thanks for reminding me. The dominant one is a Pekin...hilarious, agreeable sort most the time with no fighting.

If any other thoughts come to mind, please share. On the other side of considerations...adding 2 more females may help? For a total of 3 females (hens) and 3 drakes ? (If I can find them.)

Many thanks!

I'm no duck expert, but I don't think 3 females are enough for 3 drakes. You can order sexed female ducklings through some of the hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom