help please...sick turkey

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tardysbabe, Aug 1, 2011.

1. tardysbabe

tardysbabe New Egg

Aug 28, 2009
    my three young turkeys are all acting like they have colds. They kinda gurgle when they breathe and they have been coughing some. They seem to be eating just fine and moving around as much as normal considering the heat. They are about 4 months old. my year old tom doesnt seem to be sick.

thanks!

2. WilsonAcres

WilsonAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Milton
    Turkeys catch respiratory infections very easily! sounds like that's whats wrong with your babies..I'd start a good antibiotic I bought some from our tractor supply for our turkey. they should be fine as long as they continue eating and drinking [​IMG] I'd keep them separated from your tom for a bit tho respiratory infections {if thats what it is} are really contagious hope this helps! keep us updated [​IMG]

3. lucyboo

lucyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    North Carolina
    i feel 4 u! lol i hv a really sick hen right now and unfortunatly i dont hv knoledge of how to take care of turkeys! i hope everything turns out alright! also welcome to byc and i hope u enjoy it as much as i hv! good luck! [​IMG]

<3 lucyboo

4. tardysbabe

tardysbabe New Egg

Aug 28, 2009
    thanks! ill hit up TSC and grab some medication tomorrow. I was hoping it was just a respiratory. I had two chicks last year (the one is the older tom i have now) and I've never had a single issue with him other than him being a goofy tom.

5. my3bratz2008

my3bratz2008 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Wurtsboro
    Let me know what you are giving your poults and how much. My poults have come down with something similar to yours, except they sneeze and sound raspy, and the duramycin is not working because they won't drink it. 3 out of my 9 died, and the 6 left have been under quarantine for past few weeks so as to not get my chickens sick. They eat up a storm and will drink plain water, they are NOT lethargic and are still growing (as the little jake is starting to fan and grow his carnucles), but I feel so bad to have them locked up as they are used to free ranging with the crowd. I have found all kinds of sicknesses that it could be, but none have matched 100%. We did have rainy cool weather just before they got ill and I am wondering if they have pneumonia??? Let me know how it is going for you...thanks, Donna

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:From all I have read sounds like Tylan is the best antibiotic for what your hens and turkeys are fighting. you can get it in injectable and powder to go in their water. What ever you give them though you need to do it quickly. [​IMG] to all newbies

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by