1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP please! Too young to go out tonight?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Highland Peach, May 11, 2011.

1. Highland Peach

Highland Peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    My hens are 9 weeks old. I delayed building my coop because we are moving next week. However, I woke yesterday to a dead hen. [​IMG] I think they were too crowded. Long story short - I've made an emergency, temporary coop today but I'm wondering if they are too young to be outside all night. The coop is 4 sides hardware cloth with chicken wire on top. I put a large Rubbermaid container in there on it's side with sand and bedding in it as a wind break. Where I live, it's suppose to be clear and 59 degrees tonight. Too cold for 9 weeks? Thanks!

2. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    I am sorry to hear about your lost chick...
    Technically...no, they should be fine at 9 weeks in 60 degree weather.
    From the BYC "Raising Chickens 101": Temperature - 90 to 100 deg. for the first week, decrease 5 deg. per week. A 100 watt bulb pointing in one corner (not the whole brooder) works well.

As long as they are out of the wind...and it sounds like they are, then there shouldn't be an issue with the temperatures. The chicks should have 2-3 square feet per chick inside the coop. You didn't mention how many chicks you have, but this is one thing to keep in mind. Good luck! I hope the rest can make it.

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    have they been without a light at all? if so they should be ok, if not just add a light. good luck with them and the move.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If they are 9 weeks and fully feathered, Id put them out. I just moved my 2.5 week olds outside with a heat lamp, last night it was 48°F and they were coming out from under the light and not huddling at all. So I would think your big girls would be just fine. Double check your temp. coop to make sure its predator proof and give those ladies some more room. Good luck [​IMG]

5. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    my chicks don't have a light after 3 weeks. so I would think they should be fine seeing that they are over 2 months old!

6. Highland Peach

Highland Peach Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    Made it with t-posts, tiny square hardware wire mesh all around, chicken wire on top with zip ties every 4 inches, additional chicken wire around perimeter on ground with big rocks all around. Put my two dogs (only small Shih Tzus) in a kennel next to it to guard them through the night. I have six hens in 24 square feet, not ideal but it is only temporary, 2 weeks tops. Will they attract predators that might endanger my dogs? They haven't been without a light yet but they have had room to move around and have been avoiding the light. Gosh, I'm exhausted from today's little construction project! Thanks so much!

Last edited: May 11, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by