Help please! Turkey day 30

Meghouser

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2018
we has two live eggs as of last night with internal pips
One I believe is dead this am.
I believe they internally pipped more then a day ago and were wobbling but no progress...

I can hear chirping in the live one but am wondering how long he can last with no air.

Already two days late and I believe my temps were fine throughout incubation!
Any thoughts?

If peeping continues without progress I will often get a small exploratory hole started to see if there's still blood. Sometimes they get shrink wrapped and suffocate, so I check and assist a bit, especially if there's no more blood.

Thank you for responding! I ended up opening a small air hole and seeing that it was indeed shrink wrapped and beak was other end of egg... I opened it up enough to see that there was still some blood so I moistened the exposed membrane with coconut oil and put him back in.... he is still breathing and chirping just wait now I guess? Not sure if he will be able to get out on his own once he absorbes the blood... any thoughts are appreciated!

I keep checking back. I might free them more each time, but don't totally remove them until the blood dries up which means the yolk is absorbed generally. As long as it's breathing that's the first step.

Once he gets out he may need some help getting those cramped up legs going. I like to put them in a sour cream container with a folded up piece of paper towel, or something similar so they have something to push against and to grip. Turkey poults can take a few days to get good control of their legs sometimes. I'm of course assuming there's no turkey mom, just you.

28916214-478B-4E71-93B9-80CB16C5C5CD.jpeg
does this look like he is still absorbing blood?

Once he gets out he may need some help getting those cramped up legs going. I like to put them in a sour cream container with a folded up piece of paper towel, or something similar so they have something to push against and to grip. Turkey poults can take a few days to get good control of their legs sometimes. I'm of course assuming there's no turkey mom, just you.
I will try that!! Thank you!

Unfortunately I can't say for sure from your photo. At this point I would leave it to hopefully kick out in the next few hours. It should as long as it can pull it's head out.

Back
Top Bottom