Help please - urgent, incubator fell on floor!

Maria66

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 18, 2014
Please help, one of my cats just managed to knock the incubator onto the kitchen floor. Three out of seven ducklings have hatched already - the third was just today so we have moved him to the brooder with the other two. It's too early to tell if he has sustained any damage but he seems ok and is under the light and bring snuggled by his siblings.

The remaining eggs had all pipped and are now in various states with large parts of shell broken but the membranes seems to be reasonably intact although there has been some bleeding. I can hear cheeping from one of the eggs. Is there any chance at all they might survive? Is there anything I can do to maximise chances.

I am so upset, it's our first time hatching eggs and it was all going so well up to now.:(

I have never hatched yet so reading everything ahead of the big day. Somewhere on here is detailed directions on when and how to step in and help the hatch, like they might need a wet paper towel on them if they are bleeding. Search for assisted hatching. So sorry. Good luck

Thank you for replying. I can't stand to think that they might be alive but damaged in there. I did wonder about a damp paper towel. I guess it couldn't hurt? I don't want to make anything worse than it is already.

I am so furious at that cat but also at myself as I'd moved the incubator closer to the edge of the counter to get a better look inside and forgot to move it back as someone came to the door.

Ok, I've warped them all in damp papers towels, making sure to cover the exposed membranes but leaving any already pipped areas clear. Strangely, one egg seems almost completely intact which is good news.

The one which had already started to zip is cheeping a lot which I guess could either mean it's fine or is distressed...wish I knew which.

In case anyone saw this and is interested in the outcome - they all hatched today! They seem to be doing fine, snuggling together in the incubator. I couldn't be happier. :)

Thank you! It was my first time too but I found all the info on this site really helpful. I think I must have very tough little ducklings! Good luck with yours :).

Thank God I found this because the exact same issue just happened to us! First time hatching and I am devastated. I pray our four littles turn out ok.

Back
Top Bottom