Help please

Dpyskaty325

Chirping
May 14, 2018
Buffalo NY
I am on Day 6 of a hatch and everything seems to be going smoothly except for one thing.... the gosh dang humidity!!! I have the tractor supply incubator with egg turner,small fan thingamadoda and plastic covering. The humidity has been uncontrollable. I add a sponge when it is low, than it jumps to 62! I take some of the liquid out.... it goes all the way down to 31. The lowest it has been has been 28 and highest 72. The chicks seem to be progressing OK. Any tips???

Keep sponge moist but not dripping. You have one vent out right? I use aquarium tubing and run through hole then syringe to the sponge. 10cc a couple times a day? Watch humidity and try to keep it at 45. When it gets to 40? Add 10 cc. Of water. Sponges dry quick. Also, I use a regular sponge in the corner, not fill the channels. The closer to hatch, the wetter your sponge or amount of channel fill will increase. The sponge should stay wet but not dripping. The humidity bouncing could cause some of them to quit. It is better to have a lower humidity than a higher one. Humidity control takes practice and it works together with the vent holes, temp and moisture you put in. I usually run my incubator for about a week before starting to make sure all is well, I know the amount of water needed to keep at a certain point and have my routine down. I usually place them and allow them to settle for the first 10-14 days then candle. I try to keep lid shut like a crock pot.. fix it, check on it, forget it until next time. The less you mess with their process the easier on you. Good luck, you got this!

Keep sponge moist but not dripping. You have one vent out right? I use aquarium tubing and run through hole then syringe to the sponge. 10cc a couple times a day? Watch humidity and try to keep it at 45. When it gets to 40? Add 10 cc. Of water. Sponges dry quick. Also, I use a regular sponge in the corner, not fill the channels. The closer to hatch, the wetter your sponge or amount of channel fill will increase. The sponge should stay wet but not dripping. The humidity bouncing could cause some of them to quit. It is better to have a lower humidity than a higher one. Humidity control takes practice and it works together with the vent holes, temp and moisture you put in. I usually run my incubator for about a week before starting to make sure all is well, I know the amount of water needed to keep at a certain point and have my routine down. I usually place them and allow them to settle for the first 10-14 days then candle. I try to keep lid shut like a crock pot.. fix it, check on it, forget it until next time. The less you mess with their process the easier on you. Good luck, you got this!
Thanks!!! I have been opening the lid to add water so I will definitely set up the tube tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom