Mar 19, 2019
837180B1-38F1-49C3-97E3-C2EEB53FA120.jpeg
F7BEB7C0-52AD-454A-AFF4-C39A25C27D8A.jpeg
08D06EA0-D663-47E4-A865-5773BD29B684.jpeg
57D027EF-CFDB-4BEF-A1A4-5D36726F9FE1.jpeg
70B4F02C-3B4D-4684-8AFD-31FD3AE62B82.jpeg
Hello, we need help.
We have an almost one year hen.
A few dats ago I noticed white poop on her butt.
But today I noticed she is really waddling and not really running around like the others.
My fiancé checked for egg bound, he definitely does not feel an egg in there.
He said she feels really swollen and hard.
What can we do to help her? What is wrong?
She is so swollen
Thank you for all your help

What does her poop look like?
I've had a couple hens that looked/acted like that, that were suffering from egg yolk peritonitis. Their poop was generally yellow-ish, very runny, and smelled horrible. Does she seem to be breathing hard/with her mouth open? If so, it could be fluids/infection built up that your fiance is feeling, and it might be pushing on her lungs.

I've had a hen go through this, get better on her own, and then have it happen again 1-2 months later and pass away. I'm not really sure that there's anything you can do to treat it if it is EYP

What does her poop look like?
I've had a couple hens that looked/acted like that, that were suffering from egg yolk peritonitis. Their poop was generally yellow-ish, very runny, and smelled horrible. Does she seem to be breathing hard/with her mouth open? If so, it could be fluids/infection built up that your fiance is feeling, and it might be pushing on her lungs.

I've had a hen go through this, get better on her own, and then have it happen again 1-2 months later and pass away. I'm not really sure that there's anything you can do to treat it if it is EYP
Thank you so much for responding.
Yes, definitely seems to be breathing heavy or having difficulty breathing. Her poop is running down her butt, seems to be white maybe yellow too.
I also noticed she is pecking at her butt and the others are too.

Thank you so much for responding.
Yes, definitely seems to be breathing heavy or having difficulty breathing. Her poop is running down her butt, seems to be white maybe yellow too.
I also noticed she is pecking at her butt and the others are too.

That sounds a lot like EYP. I don't think there's much you can do, but maybe google to see, or maybe other users here have suggestions. In the past, I've stuck a (gloved) finger in the vent to try and help the hen pass some of the built-up fluids (I don't think they tend to push stool out with EYP, it might be painful), but there's no guarantee it'll help. Also, like I said before, the smell is horrendous.

That sounds a lot like EYP. I don't think there's much you can do, but maybe google to see, or maybe other users here have suggestions. In the past, I've stuck a (gloved) finger in the vent to try and help the hen pass some of the built-up fluids (I don't think they tend to push stool out with EYP, it might be painful), but there's no guarantee it'll help. Also, like I said before, the smell is horrendous.
Ok thanks again.
I feel bad for her.
:(

I'm sorry your hen is not well. Unfortunately it does sound like a reproductive problem. It's not uncommon in hens over the age of two. It could be internal laying, salpingitis, cancer, all are not uncommon. EYP is often a symptom of one of the other underlying conditions. It may be infectious matter building in her abdomen, or fluid that builds up due to too much strain on the liver, or organ failure. The prognosis for hens with reproductive problems is usually poor, there are not many options for treatment, and it will usually only help temporarily with symptoms. I usually leave mine with the flock until they are no longer doing normal chicken things, isolating themselves, not eating or drinking, obviously not feeling well. At that point I euthanize. It is often difficult to know exactly what is going on until a necropsy is done, many reproductive problems will present with similar symptoms. I'm so sorry that the outlook is not better.

I'm sorry your hen is not well. Unfortunately it does sound like a reproductive problem. It's not uncommon in hens over the age of two. It could be internal laying, salpingitis, cancer, all are not uncommon. EYP is often a symptom of one of the other underlying conditions. It may be infectious matter building in her abdomen, or fluid that builds up due to too much strain on the liver, or organ failure. The prognosis for hens with reproductive problems is usually poor, there are not many options for treatment, and it will usually only help temporarily with symptoms. I usually leave mine with the flock until they are no longer doing normal chicken things, isolating themselves, not eating or drinking, obviously not feeling well. At that point I euthanize. It is often difficult to know exactly what is going on until a necropsy is done, many reproductive problems will present with similar symptoms. I'm so sorry that the outlook is not better.
Thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom