Help please!

I'm very passionate with regards to any animals so if that appears as hostility, I will take that. I do understand and appreciate positive constructive feedback and or criticism. As I previously mentioned, I had contacted a vet to which she doesn't treat ducks so today I will finding the appropriate one. My whole purpose was to see if there is anything I can do in the meantime or perhaps there is something I am doing wrong since ducks are new to me. I personally would not out right ask a person on a apparent typo if their shooting a animal up but that is merely a matter of differences in personality and the world now days. I did handle her/him last night and the joints feel okay and the wing can fully extend with what she shows as no pain, it's just weird as those feathers itself is what she does not want you touching. I've looked for mites, swelling, warm areas, nothing. It's really those feathers that is causing discomfort. Last night she appeared to even lay more towards the other side. That's why at times I wondered if something didn't maybe even get her or she fell into a Bush to chop them up like that and its tender still? It's very localized to just those feathers.

Bending feathers back the wrong way can definitely be painful for a bird. If that's the problem, based on your exam, I think I would go for supportive care.

Yes.
Bending feathers back the wrong way can definitely be painful for a bird. If that's the problem, based on your exam, I think I would go for supportive care.
Yes, I started that last night.
Even just touching those brittle feathers causes her/discomfort. Would feathers being broken and gnawled up like that be a sensitive thing for them if there's no broken joints ect? Pardon the ignorance but she just really doesn't want those feathers touched, so it's very localized to just them. I was even wondering if the other Pekin wasn't trying to mate or beat this one up? I've tried to determine their sexes but that has not been the best. Their feet are the same orange, their both raspy and never really "quack" so I even thought "well maybe it's two males"?

It seems to be there may have been some local tissue trauma to her wing, which is causing her a lot of discomfort, and since the base of wing feathers are most often filled with blood, they tend to be very sensitive to any disturbance. The problem may have arisen if she went to stretch and flap her wings, and inadvertently hit it with a blunt object, and it's not sore. These injuries can often occur without any external signs to suggest it even happened.

Unless, she's really dropping the wing down, and further injuring it, which it doesn't appear that way, I'd personally leave it as far as implementing some sort of external coaptation device, as bandages on the wing for an extended period of time tend to decrease their wing strength.
My suggestion would be to keep her in a soft padded area, free of things she may injure the wing on. Letting her bathe in warm Epsom salt water every few days would be beneficial to keep her moving nonetheless.

As far as the pain, ideally, you give her something like Meloxicam which is used most often in birds when pain/ or swelling is a concern. If you don't have any meloxicam, you can use aspirin, or Ibuprofen instead. These drugs can be used, but it's best that they not be used for several weeks (longterm) as there's little research done on the effects they may have, besides it may cause digestive tract upset. For aspirin, you can dissolve one 325mg tablet into 250ml of water. For ibuprofen, the dosage is 5-10mg/kg two-three times a day. Or if using the liquid ( 100mg per five ML/ 20mg per ml) you can administer 0.11ml per pound of bodyweight.

It seems to be there may have been some local tissue trauma to her wing, which is causing her a lot of discomfort, and since the base of wing feathers are most often filled with blood, they tend to be very sensitive to any disturbance. The problem may have arisen if she went to stretch and flap her wings, and inadvertently hit it with a blunt object, and it's not sore. These injuries can often occur without any external signs to suggest it even happened.

Unless, she's really dropping the wing down, and further injuring it, which it doesn't appear that way, I'd personally leave it as far as implementing some sort of external coaptation device, as bandages on the wing for an extended period of time tend to decrease their wing strength.
My suggestion would be to keep her in a soft padded area, free of things she may injure the wing on. Letting her bathe in warm Epsom salt water every few days would be beneficial to keep her moving nonetheless.

As far as the pain, ideally, you give her something like Meloxicam which is used most often in birds when pain/ or swelling is a concern. If you don't have any meloxicam, you can use aspirin, or Ibuprofen instead. These drugs can be used, but it's best that they not be used for several weeks (longterm) as there's little research done on the effects they may have, besides it may cause digestive tract upset. For aspirin, you can dissolve one 325mg tablet into 250ml of water. For ibuprofen, the dosage is 5-10mg/kg two-three times a day. Or if using the liquid ( 100mg per five ML/ 20mg per ml) you can administer 0.11ml per pound of bodyweight.
Excellent!!!!! Thank you So much! Upon handling her to let her soak, I've unfortunately noticed on her deformed leg, bumblefoot!!!! :( I have her soaking as we speak in Epsome salt and I have some neosporin as well as peroxide. I did come across a article on here for bumblefoot and treating it. I'm very ignorant to ducks so I'm curious on what it exactly is, and what is the best way to treat it as well? I'm keeping her inside during all of this until the trauma to the wing gets better but now I'm looking at this bumblefoot and I'm just saddened that she has this going on too now. Thabk you again for your time and input!

Excellent!!!!! Thank you So much! Upon handling her to let her soak, I've unfortunately noticed on her deformed leg, bumblefoot!!!! :( I have her soaking as we speak in Epsome salt and I have some neosporin as well as peroxide. I did come across a article on here for bumblefoot and treating it. I'm very ignorant to ducks so I'm curious on what it exactly is, and what is the best way to treat it as well? I'm keeping her inside during all of this until the trauma to the wing gets better but now I'm looking at this bumblefoot and I'm just saddened that she has this going on too now. Thabk you again for your time and input!

So sorry to hear she has Bumblefoot.

Could you post a few pictures of the core? Where exactly is it located?

I ask for a picture because a lot of the times, how you go about treating depends on the severity of the Bumble. In most cases, it includes washing the core of any debris, applying an antibacterial ointment to the core, and finally bandaging. After a few days/week, the core should be loose enough to the point where it can be "excavated" more easily using a pair of tweezers and scalpels. Other people like to soak the core daily in Epsom salt water to loosen the core, but I'm sure you've already found that to be quite a laborious task.

I'm not too surprised she has Bumblefoot on her bad leg, as ducks with leg deformities tend to get the problem more often since the leg is more inactive, and usually has pressure applied to the ground a lot of the time out of the day.

Back
Top Bottom