Help please!!

Although she makes some honking noises, it’s the one who’s not laying who decides she needs to be at the foot of the ramp squawking her head off!
I think the issue here is the fact that you only have 2 birds. So if one is inside laying, the other one suddenly finds herself alone outside, at which point she's calling for her companion. I don't know if that will be "fixed" by her starting to lay, I haven't found that to be the case with any of my layers that find themselves alone for any reason.
I usually have to sprint out with treats or grass shaving and distract my squawker and sit with her for awhile
She's starting to train you to reward her for her behavior. You might find the problem worsening over time if she decides annoying you is worth it for extra treats.

The reality is chickens aren't quiet as many people assume. Is your flock legal or is this a noise ordinance issue?

I think the issue here is the fact that you only have 2 birds. So if one is inside laying, the other one suddenly finds herself alone outside, at which point she's calling for her companion. I don't know if that will be "fixed" by her starting to lay, I haven't found that to be the case with any of my layers that find themselves alone for any reason.

She's starting to train you to reward her for her behavior. You might find the problem worsening over time if she decides annoying you is worth it for extra treats.

The reality is chickens aren't quiet as many people assume. Is your flock legal or is this a noise ordinance issue?
I was wondering if it was because her sister leaves and she gets lonely. I was maybe thinking of adding a bantam or 2, not sure yet. But the one who squawks actually just started laying yesterday. She layed a normal pulley egg, super hard shell just like her sisters first eggs. When she went up to lay, there was no noise at all. Her sister doesn’t seem to be missing her at all LOL. although today she laid a rubber egg outside the nesting box as well as a complete liquid egg a few hours later. (The one who just started laying yesterday) is this normal? Should I be worried? I see stuff about new laying pullets reproductive tract still figuring itself out but her first egg was completely normal and now today they are both wonky. She’s eating, drinking, and walking normal, they have access to grit, and her sister hasn’t had one soft shell egg or liquid egg in the 2 weeks she’s been laying

today she laid a rubber egg outside the nesting box as well as a complete liquid egg a few hours later. (The one who just started laying yesterday) is this normal? Should I be worried? I see stuff about new laying pullets reproductive tract still figuring itself out but her first egg was completely normal and now today they are both wonky. She’s eating, drinking, and walking normal
If she is behaving normally, there is no need to worry about a small number of weird eggs.

If it becomes a recurrent pattern, that might be concerning. And if she seems distressed, that would also be concerning.

If she is behaving normally, there is no need to worry about a small number of weird eggs.

If it becomes a recurrent pattern, that might be concerning. And if she seems distressed, that would also be concerning.
Thank you! I haven’t noticed any off behaviors or lack of appetite/no drinking. She is scratching away at the dirt and foraging/eating/drinking normally. I just worry if there is build up and I can’t tell but if she’s depositing something that would mean there’s no issue of egg binding?

I was maybe thinking of adding a bantam or 2, not sure yet.
Do you realistically have space to add more birds? Integration takes time and extra space and may have its share of hiccups. Generally adding birds isn't a solution for any issues, though if the one bird does seem to continue feeling "lonely" when the other one is laying, it may help in your case.
although today she laid a rubber egg outside the nesting box as well as a complete liquid egg a few hours later. (The one who just started laying yesterday) is this normal? Should I be worried? I see stuff about new laying pullets reproductive tract still figuring itself out but her first egg was completely normal and now today they are both wonky.
They likely came out wonky because there were 2 eggs being laid in a too-short period of time for them to get shelled properly. Yes it is normal to get problematic eggs at the start, and it's not something I'd worry about as long as the rest of her behavior is normal.
I just worry if there is build up and I can’t tell but if she’s depositing something that would mean there’s no issue of egg binding?
Egg binding is probably rarer than people think. I've never had a case of it. A few weird eggs or sporadic laying schedule are not indicators of egg binding.

Back
Top Bottom