Help please!!

Mandied

Songster
Jul 24, 2022
Vincennes, Indiana
Is there anything I can put in my chickens coop and run to help to stop them from squelling and sqwaking so loud? We are intown and we aren't completely legal on chickens yet. They are still talking on if they will pass the law or not. I don't want my neighbors pissed off. Right now it's just our older 3 and they all have started laying but they are very very loud and one almost sounds like a screaming woman.

Is there anything I can put in my chickens coop and run to help to stop them from squelling and sqwaking so loud? We are intown and we aren't completely legal on chickens yet. They are still talking on if they will pass the law or not. I don't want my neighbors pissed off. Right now it's just our older 3 and they all have started laying but they are very very loud and one almost sounds like a screaming woman.
Well, not really. Chickens will do normal chicken things. The best way to get along with neighbors so they don't complain is to give them eggs. Some breeds are quieter than others when it comes to squawking and egg songs.

Some breeds, and some individuals, are louder than others.

Some of them get especially loud around the time they start laying (or laying again in the spring), and quiet down at least partway as time goes on. Some others seem not to quiet down at all.

Rehoming the noisiest few might be the only effective option if they continue to be noisy at a level you consider a problem. (Butchering the noisy ones would work equally well, although I'm guessing that you would not want to try that.)

Any strategy that blocks noise has a chance of helping: locating the chicken pen so trees or bushes are nearby, growing vines up a trellis near the chicken pen, and so forth. Some people with roosters get quite elaborate about blocking noise in such ways, so reading threads about blocking rooster crowing might give some ideas here.

Giving them treats will make them quiet while they eat the treats-- but this may encourage them to make even more noise in future, hoping for more treats, so I would not recommend it!

If it is specifically the "egg song" that you are noticing:

Picking up the noisy one will often cause her to be quiet while she is being held. She may or may not start up again when you put her down. Most chickens dislike being picked up and held, so this will probably not encourage them to squawk extra in future (unless you have an unusual chicken that does like it.)

Taking the noisy one into the house until she has forgotten about singing the egg song would probably work too, at least until next time.

Sometimes just the presence of a human nearby will temporarily stop them, but not always. Any other kind of distraction also has a chance of temporarily making them stop. Again, you don't want to encourage more squawking in future, but you could try things like mowing the lawn or taking out the trash, that would attract their attention without giving them any reward.

(If it is just chickens talking loudly about everything that happens, those last few ideas will not do much good. But the "egg song" will often stop if something distracts the chickens, and a long enough distraction might let them forget to start again.)

Some breeds, and some individuals, are louder than others.

Some of them get especially loud around the time they start laying (or laying again in the spring), and quiet down at least partway as time goes on. Some others seem not to quiet down at all.

Rehoming the noisiest few might be the only effective option if they continue to be noisy at a level you consider a problem. (Butchering the noisy ones would work equally well, although I'm guessing that you would not want to try that.)

Any strategy that blocks noise has a chance of helping: locating the chicken pen so trees or bushes are nearby, growing vines up a trellis near the chicken pen, and so forth. Some people with roosters get quite elaborate about blocking noise in such ways, so reading threads about blocking rooster crowing might give some ideas here.

Giving them treats will make them quiet while they eat the treats-- but this may encourage them to make even more noise in future, hoping for more treats, so I would not recommend it!

If it is specifically the "egg song" that you are noticing:

Picking up the noisy one will often cause her to be quiet while she is being held. She may or may not start up again when you put her down. Most chickens dislike being picked up and held, so this will probably not encourage them to squawk extra in future (unless you have an unusual chicken that does like it.)

Taking the noisy one into the house until she has forgotten about singing the egg song would probably work too, at least until next time.

Sometimes just the presence of a human nearby will temporarily stop them, but not always. Any other kind of distraction also has a chance of temporarily making them stop. Again, you don't want to encourage more squawking in future, but you could try things like mowing the lawn or taking out the trash, that would attract their attention without giving them any reward.

(If it is just chickens talking loudly about everything that happens, those last few ideas will not do much good. But the "egg song" will often stop if something distracts the chickens, and a long enough distraction might let them forget to start again.)
Thank you we have been thinking of doing vines anyway. We don't want to rehome them but I have been looking into who could take the. If we need to but that is a last resort. And yes we definitely won't butcher them.

My cuckoo marans specifically was so 'screamy' when she was a hormonal teen just about to start laying. she's just wail at me and it was annoying hah! I kept hoping it wouldn't bother anyone. she is much quieter now since starting laying.

My cuckoo marans specifically was so 'screamy' when she was a hormonal teen just about to start laying. she's just wail at me and it was annoying hah! I kept hoping it wouldn't bother anyone. she is much quieter now since starting laying.
We are hoping that happens with ours to. Our duccle was in the coop but I could hear her in the house. Our oegb was sqwaking in the run. I don't want to have to give them up but I also don't want issues. We hope they will quiet down. If they do it every so often it wouldn't be bad but not everytime.

We are hoping that happens with ours to. Our duccle was in the coop but I could hear her in the house. Our oegb was sqwaking in the run. I don't want to have to give them up but I also don't want issues. We hope they will quiet down. If they do it every so often it wouldn't be bad but not everytime.
hopefully they quiet down. at least in the summer when mine was screachy, there was a lot of other neigbourhood noise. it's harder in the quiet winter for sure!

Hi! I have 2 australorps, both the same age about 20-22 weeks and the one has started laying. Although she makes some honking noises, it’s the one who’s not laying who decides she needs to be at the foot of the ramp squawking her head off! When the one laying is in the coop making noise, you cant hear a thing even outside, but when the other is out in the run squawking, you can hear it from inside the house with windows closed! I live in a suburb with houses about 50 feet away so I usually have to sprint out with treats or grass shaving and distract my squawker and sit with her for awhile. I have to also make sure the one laying doesn’t hear me otherwise she’ll come out of the coop and want treats as well which just makes the process even longer and noisier 😂 I’m hoping once our other girl starts laying she won’t feel the need to squawk? I genuinely don’t know why she’s squawking but im lucky that at the moment I’m home every day and wait for the squawking in order to quiet her down! One complaint from neighbors and we’d have to get rid of them and we just started getting eggs from our one girl. (She is a mighty layer though, one egg a day with one skip day a week)

Back
Top Bottom