HELP Please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nczookeeper, Jan 3, 2011.

1. nczookeeper

nczookeeper Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    Good News! Got my first egg on NY Eve. . .then another the next (both from my golden comet, Gladys [​IMG] The first was at 10am the second was about 1130 the next day - then yesterday -= nothing - but her eggs were both right on the line between med and large - so I figured normal to skip a day or two so not worried there - last time I checked them was 4pm yesterday.

This morning I go out at 7am and there's an egg - the color of the shell slightly different - but that doesnt mean anything as Gladys definitely laid the first two and those colors varied a lot! one was almost mauve - the other much browner - this one is a golden brown. . .so maybe Gladys, maybe Lucy (the NH Red)? Maybe one of the others - they are all over 20 weeks now. . .

So Question 1 ---- The egg was really cold - 22 degrees F here this morning. . . Once the egg sits at room temp - will it be okay to eat? Do they thaw normally?

Second BIG ?
    I bought a huge litterbox and got 50 lbs of play sand (for sandboxes) for the girls to have a dust bath - as the dirt is well, dirty - lol I put it in their run yesterday and they were curious, but a little 'chicken'. . .well today they are loving it. . .but in the wrong way - they are eating the sand! I know they need grit - but can they over do? Should I pull it out? Tell me they know what is and isn't good for them. . .

Thanks!

2. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I eat the eggs even if they are quite cold/frozen. If they have cracks in them I would feed them to the dogs, who love them or I read here that people cook them and feed them to the chickens, don't give them raw eggs, they will develope a taste for them raw and eat their eggs before you do.

As far as the sand goes, I'm sure it is ok, they do need grit, so maybe they are in need of some and that is why they are eating it. They sure do love a dust bath, I am getting some sand myself for my girls, the ground is frozen up here and they want to dust themselves.

3. nczookeeper

Aug 30, 2010
    Quote:Thanks! No cracks in the shell [​IMG] All three of the shells have been pretty strong - after some of what I've read I was expecting just about anything - ever since the oldest hit 17 weeks I've been leaving a dish of oyster shell out - tossing most of it - but wanted it to be there just in case any wanted it.

I wish I could swing a camera out there - cant really afford to do that - but with winter, not knowing when eggs are laid. . .I was around for the first two. . .she was in and out of the hen box for a good hour, making all kinds of noise re-arranging pine shavings. She made enough noise banging around in there, the others were outside eating oatmeal, she loves it, so popping out for just a nibble and ran back in and just minutes later she came dancing out and flying around, clucking away - all the girls joined in, made a racket. ..lol I knew there had to be an egg.

Hopefully today, they will use that sane for a dusting, rather than a buffet [​IMG]

Appreciate your help!

4. My girls are starting to dust bath in their pine shavings.... they will bath in anything wont they? I read somewhere on here that someone used a covered litter box with sand so they wouldnt make a mess in their coop to bath. [​IMG]

5. nczookeeper

Aug 30, 2010
    Quote:My chickens are so 'chicken' They aren't bathing in it yet. . .ditzy birds are standing on the edge alot, standing in it, and eating out of it. . . it's BIG so size isnt a problem. . .one day they'll figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by