HELP please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stewby3, Nov 21, 2011.

1. stewby3

stewby3 New Egg

Nov 21, 2011
    Hi,
    We have a broody hen. Someone told us that we should put some fertile eggs under her because she had been broody a few months ago as well.
    So we did.
    21 days is up tommorrow. Wondering what we need to do with the chicks? do we need to seperate them (and surrogate mum) from the other hens?
    Also there is a fair drop (nearly 10 inches) from the nesting boxes to the floor in the coop. Do we need to move them out of there too??

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Quote:Yes, I'd separate them to start with. Fix up a spot where they won't drop so far. Not that that would be too detrimental to them...but they won't be
    able to get back up to mom to keep warm.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I agree with Knock Kneed Hen

I would not worry so much about the drop, but more about separating her and the chicks from the others. Sometimes they all can get along, but better safe than sorry. As long as she is on the nest, the chicks should stay under her.

4. spowell

spowell Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have 2 Silkies I keep with the laying flock (Minorca's) for broody purposes only. I have never separated them form the group when they have eggs hatching. They are very protective of their chicks and everyone gets out of the way. Now, that's just me and I may be lucky. You do what you are comfortable with.

5. Jewels1935

Jewels1935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2011
    Central Florida
    I wouldn't dare allow another hen with my Silkie mama, her "tude" is worse than a hawk! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by