Help Please!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kiddobear39, Sep 14, 2012.

1. kiddobear39

kiddobear39 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me!!!!! I have 30 chicken 5 are hen they have been laying for some time and then I have 25 pullets they will be 5 months this month some of them have started to lay. The question I have is their are some or just on I'm not sure but she is laying eggs but they don't have a hard shell on them and it's been like that for like a week or so the othe ones that are laying their shell is fine the eggs are still a little small but I know they will get bigger in time I was reading that to give them oyster shells I did give that to my other girls and the I was reading to put apple cider vinger in their water so if their is anything else I can do can some Please help an also if I put the cider vinger in their water I have a rooster will that hurt him or will he be fine PLease I need Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]thank you

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    They need some oyster shells to harden the eggs. Im not sure what kind of feed your giving. But they need good laying mash. But it will be like that for their first time, it will get better soon !

3. kiddobear39

kiddobear39 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2012
    Poland, New York
    I give them laying crumbles is the mash better than the crumbles cause if it is then I can change to it just let me know Please!!!!

4. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    theres no differences mash or crumbles, but I like mash better.

5. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    If she is out in the yard and eating different things she not be eating enough of the feed to get the right amount of calcium. This is not a bad thing it just means that you would probably do well to put out some oyster shells also. Only the hens that need it will eat it.

6. RachaelS

RachaelS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I have a hen that has always laid a thin shelled egg, the other two never did. I give layer feed with and have a bowl of oyster shells, she has done this since she started to lay. They are so thin that if she "taps" it is breaks, which is ever time. That egg is given to the dogs. This has been going on for a year now. They do get to free range, nothing seems to make a diff, I just figure that was all she had to give. The dogs LOVE her for it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by