HELP PLEASE!!!!!

PoultryGirly

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
This evening my female mallard duck was quacking and I thought that was really unusual for her. I went down to check on them and one of my male mallard ducks had gotten its foot stuck in the cage wire. I hurried and got it out but now he is limping/hopping and favoring his foot. He was "licking" it, too. He can walk on it when he absolutely needs to, though, so it's not broken. Please help. What should I do??? I'm so so worried. Could it be sprained or bruised??? Help!!!!

It is hard to know. I agree with sourland. I would also try a few lukewarm baths in water deep enough to float in. That may help things progress, by warming the tissues in the leg, getting weight off of it, helping keep the leg strong and flexible, and increasing circulation.

A warm compress of Epsom salts and water would also probably help things along. Don't give an Es bath, it is a laxative. Just soak a clean rag or paper towel in Epsom salts water (about a tablespoon of Epsom salts in a quarter to a half cup of lukewarm water). Then hold the duck and wrap the leg for as long as you both can manage it. Even a few minutes a day helped Romy with a toe infection that was a little more dicey looking than the average early case of bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom