Help please

johno75

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Torquay, devon
I'm on day 21 and out of 6 only 1 as hatched. Here is how the story goes..... At 7pm(day 20) I noticed a pip starting, just cracked shell not the membrane. 3am I had to let the dogs out so checked again, noticed another pipped egg, no change on the 1st though. Finally morning came looked again and a 3rd pipped. This is the 1 that hatched and did so in 2hrs from when I got up. It's 7pm and the 2nd egg as made a hole and I can see the beak moving. No change on the 1st and nothing on the others. Is this normal? Why is the 1st not progressing? Why are the others not doing anything? Will the 2nd egg manage to figure out what to do? The new addition is enjoying football practice funny thing is its separated the 2 eggs with pipped shells from the 3 eggs that's done nothing yet.
Please help me with my questions, I'm such a novice at incubating, I normally buy the chicks

Mmm that's normal for me, did you count day 1 as the second day you set the eggs? The day you set doesn't count since the eggs take that day to get up to temp, If you counted this way then you might only be on day 20. Confused me at first. My first pips are always on day 20 and then all day and night and into the next day. Sometimes some of the first pips may end up being the last ones to hatch.

Here's a good link on assisted hatching if it comes to that. I've had to do it a couple times when I really got worried.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Have more hatched?

No more hatched, the 2nd chick to pip hatched late about 10pm. I didn't count the first day, unfortunately I've turned it all off as nothing happened at today 4.5.13 is day 24. Been told I drowned them with humidity when they were in lock down period, how dont know I was running at 37.7c at 35% till day 18 then 75%. Gutted :-(

Back
Top Bottom