HELP PLEASE

sbluvinit

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 16, 2008
ok I have a very small round bator, we have made it to hatching day and my wee little one has made it out, when do they stand up, it seems like it just flops around and cant stand, one leg is always stretched out behind him, i dont want to open the bator but i am soooo worried, what is the progress as to what they should be doing. Started hatching early sunday morning, made it all the way out by 10am. I need help, this is a first time for me and i want it to work out. please help......

If one leg is stretched behind him, he may have a slipped tendon. There are quite a few threads about them, just do a search. I hope I'm wrong. Keep up posted.

OK where do I get info on this tendon thing,,,,,,, does any one know when they should be walking around? all the pics of baby chicks look so fluffy, my baby still looks freshly hatched, when do they look fuzzy......

They can usually get around pretty good after a few hours, like 6-8, but each chick is different. There is a search button in the blue tool bar above, that you can search for other posts about slipped tendon. I'm not sure, but if it is the same as spraddle leg, you can splint the legs together with a bandaid, and it should straighten out. But you have to do it within the first couple of days, when the chick's body is still pretty loose. I had one that was spraddle legged, that would scoot around on it's butt, and I splinted the legs together. Now I can't even tell which chick it was!

Mine that hatched yesterday was laying around like (s)he was exhausted until this morning. I would have thought she was dead but I saw her breathing.

Now she is hopping around and peeping loudly.

ok my little chick is still not standing, he lays on one side, I noticed his vent hole all plugged up so I cleaned it out but he is still not standing. I was able to use an eye dropper to feed it some water with some kind of vitamins, not sure but at tractor supply they said I would need it. It is for newly hatched chicks, anyways what should I do, I want to help the little fella but I dont want to handle it too much. It is very alert and noisey but it just cant get up. both legs move and kick around but not getting up yet, one leg still lays behind it. I am gonna post a pic, I need help here, do I cull or hang in there......
sad.png

Try the bandaid splints. That might work. Don't know what else to do. My little chick had both it's legs stuck out in front of it, so not sure if it's the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom