HELP PLEASES?? Will my eggs hatch???

MamaHen242

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 11, 2013
Hello, I am a totally new person to this whole egg hatching thing, but I've read and discovered and researched many things about the eggs. I have a little giant incubator, and the temperature and humidity have gone very well during this incubation. So this is day 20 of egg hatching, and i dont hear any peeps from them like all the videos on chick hatching that i saw (and i saw ALLOT of them) please help me.
----------- (update) Hi guys, so my fourth egg has pipped, and they all got through the shell and membrane. Yesterday there was three, and that was the 22nd day. Now it's the 23 and four have pipped. The three from yesterday are making NO sins of progrertion, and it's been sing yesterday at three, until now, and still no progress. Should I help them? Are they...:( dead? The one that recently pipped is peeping loudly and moving, and breaking the eggshell. But no progress on the others. They don't peep, or move, or even twitch! HELP ME PLEEEEASEEE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Last edited:
You don’t always hear peeping. A lot of the time you do, especially if you tap on the incubator, but you don’t always. Don’t panic.

Eggs don’t always hatch exactly at 21 days of incubation. There are a lot of different things that affect when an egg actually hatches; heredity, humidity, how and how long it was stored, or just basic differences in eggs. A huge factor is average incubating temperature. If it is a bit warm they can be quite early. If it is a bit cool they can be quite late. I’ve had eggs hatch under a broody and in an incubator two full days early as well as had some hatch on time. Some people have reported them hatching a few days later under a broody or in an incubator. Did you calibrate your thermometer? It may not be reading real accurately.

Are you counting the days right? I ask that because it’s a real common problem. Talking about Day 7 or Day 18 can be confusing. An egg does not have a day’s worth of development 2 seconds or 2 hours after it goes in the incubator. It takes 24 hours for it to have a day’s worth of development. An easy way to check if you are counting right is that the day of the week you started them is the day of the week the 21 days is up. If you started them on a Thursday, the 21 days is up on a Thursday.

I know it’s a stressful time but I don’t see anything in your post that would cause me to worry. Good luck! It shouldn’t be long.

I'm so scared. I also would show a pic, but I don't know how to upload files.:barnie:fl I really hope those three eggs hatch! I'd do anything to help my babies live! Should I help them hatch? And if I should, how do I do it. PLEASE BE AS DISCRIPTIVE AS YOU CAN. THIS IS MY FIRST HATCH!!!!!!:confused:

This is a pic of a very similar pic to my egg right now, but the membrane is wetter, and white. It is the third down picture, and the hole is slightly smaller.
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png

http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/Causes_of_chicken_hatching_problems/
If the hole is close to the size in that pic can you see the chick and tell if it is still breathing?

It's maddening, but I've had chicks wait a full 24 hours from pip to zip. Do not go in and help. (Honestly, has anyone EVER seen a mother hen pick the shell off its egg?) It is during this resting phase that often times the yolk sac is being absorbed into the abdomen. Too, as often happens, if you go in to help you'll shrink wrap your chicks as that membrane dries out VERY fast and you may cause a bit of blood loss resulting in an already weak(er) chick. The shell membrane is a spider web of veins.

I've always believed in letting Mother Nature take it's course....the healthy chicks will hatch; those weak will not. It's our nature to want to have a win-win situation and go in and help, but the reality is you'll probably do more harm than good.

How's your humidity holding up in the incubator?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom