Help pls! 1 day old-falls over struggles to get back up, stands around, curled toes

Teesh12

Chirping
Jan 1, 2024
Hi, another newbie here!

Problem- 1 chick, slightly smaller than others keeps falling over not able to get back up easily, stands around and is a bit vacant? not as curious/ engaged as others. Does walk about a little bit, but not much. Pictures below.
Context- 3x 1 day old chicks. Had some incubator troubles with temp as its summer where i am (New Zealand). So they all have curly toes of some kind. I think I have the toe issue sorted with taping their feet and the 2 other chicks see, healthy and happy otherwise. They are Faverolle's, got them from down the road. I hatched some Barbu DÚccle bantams 3 weeks earlier in same incubator and no issues.

Any thoughts? much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG20240102135216[1].jpg
    IMG20240102135216[1].jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG20240102104517[1].jpg
    IMG20240102104517[1].jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG20240102104454[1].jpg
    IMG20240102104454[1].jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG20240102104433[1].jpg
    IMG20240102104433[1].jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Hi, another newbie here!

Problem- 1 chick, slightly smaller than others keeps falling over not able to get back up easily, stands around and is a bit vacant? not as curious/ engaged as others. Does walk about a little bit, but not much. Pictures below.
Context- 3x 1 day old chicks. Had some incubator troubles with temp as its summer where i am (New Zealand). So they all have curly toes of some kind. I think I have the toe issue sorted with taping their feet and the 2 other chicks see, healthy and happy otherwise. They are Faverolle's, got them from down the road. I hatched some Barbu DÚccle bantams 3 weeks earlier in same incubator and no issues.

Any thoughts? much appreciated.
Be careful with the newspaper...that can be very slippery and cause leg issues. I'd put some paper towels down over it.

summer where i am (New Zealand)
I agree, I'd get B Complex into all of the chicks, see if that helps.
You are NZ but may be able to find vitamins at your pharmacy or where you purchase your food/groceries.
For tiny chicks, I would dissolve 1 tablet of the B-Complex in a small amount of water, then give the each a couple of drops several times throughout the day. Just drip a drop of the vitamin water onto the beak and let the chick take it in.

Do they seem to be able to eat/drink o.k.? Sometimes chick starter can be larger pieces and may be a struggle to handle for tiny chicks. I grind the starter to a finer consistency almost like powder for a few days until they seem to be able to eat the crumbles.

Cute chicks! I hope the one that's having the worst trouble makes it.

Be sure to get them all on B complex vitamins or ones that contain riboflavin on the label. That can be helpful with curled under toes.

I agree, I'd get B Complex into all of the chicks, see if that helps.
You are NZ but may be able to find vitamins at your pharmacy or where you purchase your food/groceries.
For tiny chicks, I would dissolve 1 tablet of the B-Complex in a small amount of water, then give the each a couple of drops several times throughout the day. Just drip a drop of the vitamin water onto the beak and let the chick take it in.

Do they seem to be able to eat/drink o.k.? Sometimes chick starter can be larger pieces and may be a struggle to handle for tiny chicks. I grind the starter to a finer consistency almost like powder for a few days until they seem to be able to eat the crumbles.

Cute chicks! I hope the one that's having the worst trouble makes it.
thanks! B Vitamins administered! fingers crossed we see some improvement . Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom