Persistent curly toe or something else?

Teesh12

Chirping
Jan 1, 2024
Hi There,
I have a nearly 2 week old Faverolle chick, that was born with both feet having curly toes (incubator troubles i think). Having used the bootie method for most of this time and a hobble early on to help with what appeared to be a mild case of spraddle leg, one of the feet is much better, dont use the bootie anymore, but the other is still got quite the bend in its toes. Have given B vitamins with riboflaven for about 1.5weeks (mostly because a different chick kept falling over and now doesnt!). The chick appears healthy otherwise, full of energy, running around and a bit sassy too!

Questions:
In the pictures below, do you think its curly toe or is there other potential issues? (The foot on right as you look at image)
Should I keep going on the B vitamins?
Is there any physio I could do that could help?
Any thoughts much appreciated!

Attachments

• Fav chick 2.jpg
    Fav chick 2.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Fav chick 1.jpg
    Fav chick 1.jpg
    706.4 KB · Views: 18
You've done a great job! I don't know about its left leg though as it appears twisted. If it was a shortage of B2 that caused it, usually a week has it caught back up, and its normal diet of chick starter will maintain it, but I'd still supplement B-complex until it's back to normal.

Can you make the chick stand properly, with feet facing forward, without causing it pain?

You'll need to come up with a brace/splint for it to straighten out its left leg. At this age, it still should be able to be corrected. I looked for a picture of such a splint to actually turn a chick's foot and saw these. That's probably not the only way, but it's an idea how to turn the leg inward. I think I'd only go half the distance for a day or two, then go the rest of the way to the normal position.

If turning the leg is causing it pain, then perhaps you could do the same splint idea and just go a small distance at a time.

You've done a great job! I don't know about its left leg though as it appears twisted. If it was a shortage of B2 that caused it, usually a week has it caught back up, and its normal diet of chick starter will maintain it, but I'd still supplement B-complex until it's back to normal.

Can you make the chick stand properly, with feet facing forward, without causing it pain?

You'll need to come up with a brace/splint for it to straighten out its left leg. At this age, it still should be able to be corrected. I looked for a picture of such a splint to actually turn a chick's foot and saw these. That's probably not the only way, but it's an idea how to turn the leg inward. I think I'd only go half the distance for a day or two, then go the rest of the way to the normal position.

If turning the leg is causing it pain, then perhaps you could do the same splint idea and just go a small distance at a time.
Thanks for your feedback! I will have another good look at the leg and see if we cant get something sorted. That link was handy for getting ideas, might need a slightly DIY option haha but fingers crossed its enough. Just want the little chick to have a good go of it !

Back
Top Bottom