Chicken suffering from Vitamin B deficiency/chicken sling

haychick23

Hatching
Sep 23, 2023
it’s been about 2 weeks i’d say now.
Boots my cochin mix chicken, was unable to walk one morning. So i immediately brought her inside and set up a chicken box for her. It went from her being able to jump out of the box and wake up next to me to her not being able to move at all. She definitely has the curly toe paralysis
we set her up in a chicken sling but her left leg which is the problem one, is constantly dangling or moving to the side in a weird position. could this be soemthing aside from the vitamin B? A slipped tendon maybe???

i know splayed legs and curly toes are more common in fresh hatchlings, but she is two months old and the ONLY chick i have acting like this.

Attachments

• 19043A80-579C-4A11-B764-C03BA0B9951D.jpeg
    19043A80-579C-4A11-B764-C03BA0B9951D.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 7BACBC0E-4BC1-4DE7-842B-C1619C0AFBDC.jpeg
    7BACBC0E-4BC1-4DE7-842B-C1619C0AFBDC.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 24
What exactly had you been feeding her?

When was the last time you brought ANY new to you birds home?

Were you able to ever get rid of of the lice?
Unfortunately the lice may have done irreversible damage.

You have to make sure she is taking in enough nutrition every day.
What she eats is extremely important.

What exactly had you been feeding her?

When was the last time you brought ANY new to you birds home?
She’s been getting her chicken feed soaked with Vitamin B water supplements, i’ve been feeding her eggs/egg yolk, she’s gotten selenium paste and i’ve been giving her vitamin B complex gel.
no new birds have been brought in since April. these were hatched july 4th and are the most ‘recent’ birds.

She’s been getting her chicken feed soaked with Vitamin B water supplements, i’ve been feeding her eggs/egg yolk, she’s gotten selenium paste and i’ve been giving her vitamin B complex gel.
no new birds have been brought in since April. these were hatched july 4th and are the most ‘recent’ birds.
there’s more i’ve been feeding her but off the top of my head i’m not sure. there went a few days where she wasn’t eating or drinking much.

Were you able to ever get rid of of the lice?
Unfortunately the lice may have done irreversible damage.

You have to make sure she is taking in enough nutrition every day.
What she eats is extremely important.
Yes the lice are gone, i spent a good couple of hours taking every last bit off & dousing her in psp.
what do you recommend feeding her? I’ve been giving her a lot of nutrient rich feed according to chicken vet corner on facebook.

I had a chick with curly toe paralysis. It took several weeks of quite high doses of B vitamins every day before she recovered. Then I stopped the B vitamins and the other leg went lame. I started them again and after a few more weeks she got better.
Mine was young when we started (3 weeks old) and it seemed like she grew out of the problem.
I did give her physical therapy every day so her tendons didn't shorten while the nerve sheaths were re-establishing themselves.
Of course diseases like Marek's can present with this paralysis. In the case of my Bernadette she was really too young for it to be that so I persevered with the vitamins.
When I say large doses I mean often as much or more than you would give a human. My vet reassured me that they cannot overdose on them.
In case you are interested here is the thread I made as Bernie and I went through this journey together.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/3-week-old-chick-with-a-bad-leg-any-advice-please.1519956/

I've also dealt with Curly Toe Paralysis in 2 chickens. Took a month, & a few weeks for my worst one to be cured. Took about a few weeks, & couple days to cure the least worst one.
I gave them about 4-5, 400mg Vitamin B2 capsules each day. Of course not all at once, just through out the day at certain times is what I did.

I kept them with the flock, which also helps them get better.

I've also dealt with Curly Toe Paralysis in 2 chickens. Took a month, & a few weeks for my worst one to be cured. Took about a few weeks, & couple days to cure the least worst one.
I gave them about 4-5, 400mg Vitamin B2 capsules each day. Of course not all at once, just through out the day at certain times is what I did.

I kept them with the flock, which also helps them get better.
I'm following! I had to remove mine from the flock they were trying their best to trample her when I found her.

Back
Top Bottom