Is this toe paralysis due to Vit B deficiency?

eevans1213

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2024
Photo posted in this thread

This our our baby chicken. She is only about 6 months old. We noticed her limping this morning and walking with one toe curled under like she can’t straighten it.

Vitamin B deficiency or maybe an injury? Help and advice much appreciated!

They are given Layer pellets from us daily. We just got them from another owner about 3 weeks ago. Not sure what their diet was but I do know they didn’t get layer pellets. Mostly just scratch feed. We now only do scratch feed as a treat. They are given the occasional table scraps. She seems to eat well, pecking and scratching regularly still. Just slow moving, limping, and tired. Staying away from the flock regularly as well. Keeping to herself.

Attachments

• IMG_3809.png
    IMG_3809.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
When she picks up the foot do all toes curl under? The limping and curled toes could be a riboflavin (B2) deficiency, an injury that has affected the sciatic nerve, or a sign of Mareks disease. As soon as possible, I would give her some human vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet daily or scratch off a little bit of a riboflavin tablet. Give it orally crushed into a little scrambled egg or other food, or directly into the beak to swallow. If it is a riboflavin deficiency, that is usually in both feet, but it should clear up in days.

Last edited:
When she picks up the foot do all toes curl under? The limping and curled toes could be a riboflavin (B2) deficiency, an injury that has affected the sciatic nerve, or a sign of Mareks disease. As soon as possible, I would give her some human vitamin B complex 1/2 tablet daily or scratch off a little bit of a riboflavin tablet. Give it orally crushed into a little scrambled egg or other food, or directly into the beak to swallow. If it is a riboflavin deficiency, that up is usually in both feet, but it should clear up in days.
Yes all her toes curl under on her left foot. Her right foot seems fine.

Sorry I accidentally hit post before I got done writing my reply.

This evening we took her out of the coop and fed her some B-complex crushed up in some oatmeal. She ate quite a bit of it. I noticed upon further evaluation this evening that all her toes are limp, not just the one toe like this morning.
Praying the supplements help. I’ll give her some daily and I’ll keep you posted. Thank you so much for responding!

Back
Top Bottom