Pics

RoyalChick

Henpecked
Premium Feather Member
Nov 3, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My Coop
My Coop
Bernadette turned 3 weeks old today. She was OK until this afternoon when she started limping. She is otherwise fine - energetic, eating, pooping etc. But as you can see from these two videos she has something wrong with her leg. I am thinking she sprained something. There are three chicks the same age and they all freak out and go crazy when I reach in to top up feed etc. so I am thinking someone landed on her leg or something like that.
I would welcome any advice on what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the limb look properly aligned? Not displaced or anything? I can't really see in the video.
I think so, but it is as hard to tell in person as on video.
She can walk on it, but it is obviously sore, and as you can see in one of the videos she sort of prefers not to stand on it.

Have you examined the foot for injures? A tiny thing such as a torn toe nail can affect the entire leg and cause a chick not to want to walk on it.

It could also be from an inflamed sciatic nerve or other connecting nerves due to a vitamin B deficiency. Have you recently treated these chicks with Corid by any chance?

I would try a B-complex, which covers B-2, 6, and 12, all important for leg strength and nerve connections.

Have you examined the foot for injures? A tiny thing such as a torn toe nail can affect the entire leg and cause a chick not to want to walk on it.

It could also be from an inflamed sciatic nerve or other connecting nerves due to a vitamin B deficiency. Have you recently treated these chicks with Corid by any chance?

I would try a B-complex, which covers B-2, 6, and 12, all important for leg strength and nerve connections.
I will examine - I didn't do so already because I didn't want to freak her out. Maybe I will try when she is asleep.
I can definitely give B-complex. No, she has not had Corid, but she is on medicated feed (amprolium).

Okay well guess i need to look for those elt me call a friend she has them bookmarked. Yes you keep them going enough room for them to walk but get the vita k.
I do not like medicated feed they need to build immunity on their own.

Here's a tip for calming chicks when you need to handle them.

First, understand that chicks are well aware they are prey, and they are ever alert to anything diving at them from above. Their natural instinct is to run like the devil away from it.

Therefore, when reaching for chicks, avoid doing so from directly above. Instead, insert your hand at an end of the brooder away from the chicks and then snake your hand along the floor of the brooder until you reach the chick you need to pick up. Edge your hand up to its toes and then pause, giving the chick the opportunity to walk onto your palm. Then gently reach your other hand into the brooder much the same way you did the first hand and wrap it around the chick and gently lift the chick out of the brooder.

A much better method of brooding is a brooder on a table with a side access. This way you don't need to reach in from above. You will be surprised at the almost instant change in your chicks after changing how you approach them.

I took this to the ultimate step and I now brood directly in my run which is enclosed. I actually walk into the brooding pen and the chicks have no fear of me since they can see all of me, therefore being confident that I am not a sky predator.

Back
Top Bottom