Limping chick

AusChicken_mumma

Hatching
Mar 21, 2024
Hi all,
Really hoping to get some advice/reassurance for my 3 week old chick. When cleaning their box last week, I forgot to include the non-slip mat flooring, and just put pine shavings down. The next day, my beautiful chick was lying on her side and limping. I looked at her leg and saw one leg splayed to the side, so I treated her for spraddle leg by bracing her legs together with a band-aid. She wasn't able to stand without falling so I took her to a local vet the next day who removed the bandaid and prescribed an anti-inflammatory as her hock was/is swollen, and instructed me to hold her and slowly place weight on the injured leg a few times each day.
She was doing great the next day. Standing on two feet but not walking on both. She was happy for me to hold her and slowly put weight on the foot. The day after that I suspect she reinjured it because she stopped using that foot all together and now hops on one leg, she seems agitated if I try to help her out weight on the leg. I'm worried I should be doing more to help her but unsure what to do. The vet said to give it more time but I'm not longer seeing improvement, for 3 days now she exclusively stands on one foot with the other held up.

I would appreciate any advice for my little darling. Thank you!
PXL_20240315_053534674.jpg
PXL_20240319_094020899.jpg

Last edited:
Are there other chicks in the brooder are they mean to her? Does she get picked at and/or get attacked by the other chicks?

It is hard to know if this is an injury or a tendon issue, but you can try to make sure that she gets to eat and drink as much as she can. A chicken sling for periods throughout the day with food and water right in front of her might help if she will tolerate it. I would try to put her feet touching the floor. Let her out of it often to try and run around or to sleep. In posts 5, 11-14 and on, in this link there are good examples of slings for different ages:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Are there other chicks in the brooder are they mean to her? Does she get picked at and/or get attacked by the other chicks?
Hi, sorry for the late reply. The other chicks are not bullying her and she definitely pecks them if they try anything. Her leg is still the same, if not a bit more turned outwards.
Not sure if I should take her back to the vet or continue letting her rest and heal. She gets around ok on 1 leg at the moment and is eating and drinking well.

It is hard to know if this is an injury or a tendon issue, but you can try to make sure that she gets to eat and drink as much as she can. A chicken sling for periods throughout the day with food and water right in front of her might help if she will tolerate it. I would try to put her feet touching the floor. Let her out of it often to try and run around or to sleep. In posts 5, 11-14 and on, in this link there are good examples of slings for different ages:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
I haven't tried a sling yet, but I will try this over the next week and if no improvement take her back to the vet as her medication has run out today. Her leg is now turned quite outward, sadly.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Back
Top Bottom