Bad limping (with video) - is her leg joint dislocated

lightm

Don't Peck On Me
Premium Feather Member
Jan 31, 2022
Southeast NC
This morning our hen Poopy would not come out of the coop. It turns out that she is limping very bad. She can barely walk.

She has been isolated in a cage during the day when we work. I just took this video this afternoon. I am really hoping that she can recover on her own with enough rest. It may be a few days or a week before we can see a vet if we can locate one at all.

I'd appreciate if anyone can take a look and offer advice. She is otherwise fine!

Poor little Poopy!
You know I am not a chicken expert but I do have some experience with trauma in people. So take this for whatever it is worth.
She is able to bear weight so unlikely that her leg is broken. And from what I can see she can also use her toes so probably not nerve damage.
It also doesn't look like it is her foot pad hurting her (although you should check under her foot for a wound or bumblefoot anyway).
Therefore I am thinking she has a sprain. Did she jump off a high roost or get in a fight?

She is walking very much like my Maggie did after she flew away from a fox and landed like a canon ball. I did not isolate Maggie as I didn't want her to get depressed and it took about 6 weeks to return to normal. She rested it herself a lot either by standing on one leg or sitting down.

I am not sure you need to isolate Poopy but it might be good to give her a bit of anti-inflammatory pain medicine like aspirin or Tylenol.

Poor little Poopy!
You know I am not a chicken expert but I do have some experience with trauma in people. So take this for whatever it is worth.
She is able to bear weight so unlikely that her leg is broken. And from what I can see she can also use her toes so probably not nerve damage.
It also doesn't look like it is her foot pad hurting her (although you should check under her foot for a wound or bumblefoot anyway).
Therefore I am thinking she has a sprain. Did she jump off a high roost or get in a fight?

She is walking very much like my Maggie did after she flew away from a fox and landed like a canon ball. I did not isolate Maggie as I didn't want her to get depressed and it took about 6 weeks to return to normal. She rested it herself a lot either by standing on one leg or sitting down.

I am not sure you need to isolate Poopy but it might be good to give her a bit of anti-inflammatory pain medicine like aspirin or Tylenol.
i didn’t know chickens can have aspirin?

Poor little Poopy!

Thank you so much RC. This is helpful. What you said is also very comforting.

We do not have high roost, but YES she got into a fight yesterday. Blood was drawn. She was completely fine though after the fight (against Inky) and she even won! I can only imagine another fight broke out later and Inky was the ultimate winner...

i didn’t know chickens can have aspirin?
Yes. Meloxicam is the best pain killer anti-inflammatory but that requires a prescription. Aspirin, ibuprofen and acetaminophen can all be used in chickens. I don't remember the doses but you will find them posted on BYC and also probably the Merck Veterinary manual.

Thank you so much RC. This is helpful. What you said is also very comforting.

We do not have high roost, but YES she got into a fight yesterday. Blood was drawn. She was completely fine though after the fight (against Inky) and she even won! I can only imagine another fight broke out later and Inky was the ultimate winner...
In that case light I would also check her for wounds - as I said she walks like she has a sprain rather than a wound but it would be worth giving her the once over just in case.

I agree, it looks like injury or sprain.

I'd place her near her flock and give her a few days to see how she does.
Looks like she's self limiting activity.
I would be cautious letting her walk on the slick hardwood floors, but other than that, hopefully she'll heal completely in a few weeks.
Thank you. Yes you are very right that the hardwood floor is not helping at all.

Update @RoyalChick @Wyorp Rock

I did not see much improvement this morning. We gave her one pill of baby aspirin. It may have helped with pain and inflammation. My husband was with her for the morning and she appeared to be better. Moreover, she was restless (walking all over the house and pooping everywhere) and so he put her back with her flock.

When we got back home in the afternoon, she was fine. I would say she is improved very slightly from yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom