help pls

ducclelover04

In the Brooder
May 26, 2015
nc
Ok I have rooster and a hen seprated bc the rooster is mean to the hen and she will fight back they are duccles and need to brreed.the roo tries to attack her and she runs and sometimes fights back.its scary they r my kids pls help!! How can I make them get along?!?!?!

Welcome! This is a great site full of helpful people. When you get a chance check out the learning center, it is full of great info.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Do you just have 1 chicken for your Rooster? That can cause problems, a rooster wants several hens, having just one will cause him to be aggressive, and over mate her. However, what looks to you like fighting, might actually be mating. The rooster is also going to try to overpower your hen, to be the dominant. Unless there is blood, what you see as fighting, is probably normal behavior. If blood, and you only have one hen, then your problem is he needs more hens. If you have several hens and still blood, then you have a bad rooster, and the only solution there is culling, really.

No he has 2 other hens but the problem hen hates them and attacks them
Is she new to the flock? Do they have plenty of room?
Integrating new birds takes time. Chickens do not enjoy having 'strangers' added to their flocks. Introductions need to be done gradually, and even then, there will still be pecking order fights. If you can, house them near each other, so they can see and interact, but not touch. It will give them time to get used to one another. Then allow supervised run time. Once they all get along in the run for the most part, they can stay in the same coop together. The key to all this is lots of room for everybody and multiple feed and water stations.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Recommendations are to have 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Assuming space and getting to know one another is not the issue, without enough hens to occupy "his interests" he will "go after" whatever hens he does have access to, quite often. He may even have his "favorites" to go after. I would suggest either getting more hens and/or a different rooster, keeping them separated, or getting rid of the rooster altogether. You really only need a rooster if you want fertilized eggs. I understand they are your pets, and these options may be difficult, but I know their safety and well-being are important to you.

Back
Top Bottom