Help! point coming out of finch back

Finchlove

Hatching
Oct 23, 2023
Please help! I dont know what to do or whats wrong!
I have had finches for a while but have never had anything like this happen.
I found one of my finches on the bottom of the cage not being able to move or fly. She would just lie on her side. I moved her out of the cage into another one as I don't know what is wrong with her. I checked her over and she was missing feathers on her back and it was swollen. She has made it through the week and seemed to be getting better. However, when I had a look at her back she has something hard and pointy poking from inside her skin. She is eating, drinking and pooping fine and can now stand on a low perch and has tried to fly but can't do so very well. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about this and if there is anything I can do for her.

Attachments

• IMG_9595.jpeg
    IMG_9595.jpeg
    406.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_9594.jpeg
    IMG_9594.jpeg
    442.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9593.jpeg
    IMG_9593.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 26
Oil gland, also called preen gland. It is an important organ that produces oil for birds to coat their feathers with.

Oil gland, also called preen gland. It is an important organ that produces oil for birds to coat their feathers with.
I thought the oil glad was usually centered, while this lump appears to be quite a ways to one side (middle picture, where OP circled it.) Can there be that much variation in where it is located?

It would be pretty easy to check, if OP has other finches: just look at that area on any healthy finch, parting the feathers to see the skin. If the same bump is there on healthy finches, then it is normal and not a problem. If the healthy finches do not have this thing hidden under their feathers, then it is worth more investigation.

I thought the oil glad was usually centered, while this lump appears to be quite a ways to one side (middle picture, where OP circled it.) Can there be that much variation in where it is located?

It would be pretty easy to check, if OP has other finches: just look at that area on any healthy finch, parting the feathers to see the skin. If the same bump is there on healthy finches, then it is normal and not a problem. If the healthy finches do not have this thing hidden under their feathers, then it is worth more investigation.
Thank you for your reply. I dont think it is her oil gland as my other finch doesnt have it. I checked her over and it almost seems like she has broken something. I am not sure how she would have unless my other finch attacked her despite them getting along.

Thank you for your reply. I dont think it is her oil gland as my other finch doesnt have it. I checked her over and it almost seems like she has broken something. I am not sure how she would have unless my other finch attacked her despite them getting along.

Unfortunately, I do not know what to do in that case :(

(I was really hoping it would turn out to be something completely normal that was only visible because of the missing feathers. But apparently it's not.)

Unfortunately, I do not know what to do in that case :(

(I was really hoping it would turn out to be something completely normal that was only visible because of the missing feathers. But apparently it's not.)
I was also hoping the same… I am looking to book her in to the vets so hopefully they can help

Please help! I dont know what to do or whats wrong!
I have had finches for a while but have never had anything like this happen.
I found one of my finches on the bottom of the cage not being able to move or fly. She would just lie on her side. I moved her out of the cage into another one as I don't know what is wrong with her. I checked her over and she was missing feathers on her back and it was swollen. She has made it through the week and seemed to be getting better. However, when I had a look at her back she has something hard and pointy poking from inside her skin. She is eating, drinking and pooping fine and can now stand on a low perch and has tried to fly but can't do so very well. I am just wondering if anyone knows anything about this and if there is anything I can do for her.
I wonder if it's a feather that got trapped under her skin. Are you sure they get along? Looks like feather picking, or maybe a nutritional deficiency. Zebbies are notoriously aggressive, sometimes even within pairs.
I do recommend a vet because the difficulty flying is a bad sign.

I wonder if it's a feather that got trapped under her skin. Are you sure they get along? Looks like feather picking, or maybe a nutritional deficiency. Zebbies are notoriously aggressive, sometimes even within pairs.
I do recommend a vet because the difficulty flying is a bad sign.
They used to get along amazingly but clearly not anymore. I’ve been to the vet and have been told that she has broken her femur. She is on pain medication and as long as the bone stays under her skin she should be ok but I have to keep monitoring her.

They used to get along amazingly but clearly not anymore. I’ve been to the vet and have been told that she has broken her femur. She is on pain medication and as long as the bone stays under her skin she should be ok but I have to keep monitoring her.
OH my. Well, that was unexpected. Glad you went to the vet.

Thanks for the update :)

But sad that she is that badly injured :(

I hope she is able to recover fully!

Back
Top Bottom