HELP- Pointer dog breed and backyard chickens

@centrarchid might be able to help? I know they’ve had pointers with chickens but not sure. Is there any reason she wasn’t introduced to them as a pup? Not that that would help now. Do the chickens have a run? I almost feel like she needs a stake out or pen beside them or something to just be forced to get used to them and chill out but I’m not sure. I don’t think I would use a different yard. She needs to get used to them. But perhaps take her out on a leash only? Really not sure.

I have used two German Pointers to date. They had high prey drive. First I had to establish control meaning pup (anything less than 18 months old I consider a pup) would have to ignore something when I signaled to do that. With 9-month old pup a leash will be needed until pup reliably responds to verbal commands. Start by reading following account. For now keep dog and chickens separate.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/planned-poultry-guarding-dog.426408/

I do not you shocker collars and have minimal experience with them. That said, I work with dogs around chickens a lot over many years. It always takes a lot of time.

@KelseyBoxer I agree, I am not thrilled about it. My biggest fear is what will happen if her prey drive is activated by a marmot up on a ridge/cliff situation. I think for this reason alone I will be strapping an e collar on her... it's better than death.
Please get someone to teach you how to use that e collar, if you don't know. I am a trainer and one of the worst things sporting breed dog owners do is strap and e collar on as punishment for bad behavior, that is not what it is for. Please seek some professional advice before putting that collar on her! You may try blocking the view of the coop from window or door that she can see out of. Eventually she will stop, I have labradors that we hunt with and they no longer mess with the chickens! It's all about training and obedience! Good luck!

Please get someone to teach you how to use that e collar, if you don't know. I am a trainer and one of the worst things sporting breed dog owners do is strap and e collar on as punishment for bad behavior, that is not what it is for. Please seek some professional advice before putting that collar on her! You may try blocking the view of the coop from window or door that she can see out of. Eventually she will stop, I have labradors that we hunt with and they no longer mess with the chickens! It's all about training and obedience! Good luck!
Hi! This is a decently old thread. I have come a long way with my GWP- she has been trained and received all her CGC titles, and I’m now working with a private gun dog trainer to train toward her UT title for NAVHDA. She still has not had an e collar- my gun dog trainer will be helping me to collar condition her.

I want to be clear that I was never going to use the e collar for punishment, it was always my intent to use as reinforcement on already trained commands.

Hi! This is a decently old thread. I have come a long way with my GWP- she has been trained and received all her CGC titles, and I’m now working with a private gun dog trainer to train toward her UT title for NAVHDA. She still has not had an e collar- my gun dog trainer will be helping me to collar condition her.

I want to be clear that I was never going to use the e collar for punishment, it was always my intent to use as reinforcement on already trained commands.
I didn't even see the date, I apologize! For some reason it showed up at the top of the topic for me.

I am so glad that you are working with someone on collar conditioning! I do that with our dogs and it can be pretty scaring for them, when not done right! I just wanted to make sure that you knew there was a right way and wrong way to do it that! Lots of people think that they can correct bad behavior with them and that was never the intent when the e-collar came out. Doing that, as you have learned, can really screw a good dog up! I am also happy to hear that you have found a way to channel your dogs energy, that is very important! I'm prettynsure that is why mine leave our chickens alone, they have no energy to mess with them after training...lol! Anyway, good luck with both!!💚

Back
Top Bottom