Help! Possible coccidosis

crazychick26201

Songster
10 Years
Jun 1, 2013
West Virginia
I sent a fecal sample to my vet so she could check for worms. She called and told me that though there were no worms, she found the sample was full of cocci. She recommended that I treat the whole flock with Corid, but I don't know what dose. She then went out of town. I don't know what to do. I have three older hens of 3 years and two 18 week old pullets which have been with the big girls for two weeks. I find no signs of coccidosis like bloody poop or lethargy. All are eating and acting normal. Should I go ahead and treat them for 5 days or do some preventative measure? Or are they immune to this cocci? What is the dose for liquid Corid? I have read anything from 1/2 to 2 teaspoons per gallon. This is scaring me to death. I don't want my chickens to die. And we are preparing to leave in Sept. And have a house sitter care for the chickens. Please please advise.

If your vet recommended then you may want to treat.

Not all strains of Cocci cause bloody poop.

Corid is mild and won't hurt them, it is not an antibiotic, so there is no egg withdrawal.

Corid dosage for Cocci is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Last edited:
Also we are having a heat wave so I am filling three one gallon contIners and putting a frozen water bottle in them around noon. Will this affect the treatment?

Thanks, Wyatt! Do I need to do anything after the five days? Have another fecal test? Do a prevention plan? What keeps them from getting it again?
Cocci is everywhere, it lives in the soil and chicken build an immunity/resistance to cocci, but a small amount is most likely always going to present in their system. When the weather is warm and rainy, there can be an abundance in the soil which can overload your chickens and they will need treatment.

I don't think putting frozen water bottles in their container will affect the treatment. It will just keep the water colder longer. A very good idea in a heat wave.
smile.png

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

I have similar question. One of my chicks, approx 12 weeks old may have coccidosis. She was lethargic, sitting down and not eating. She is,always,easy to handle but she would just sit in your hands slumped. I separated her, gave her water, yogurt, poly-vi-sol and watched her poop. I saw slight red in one, mostly solid and a watery, brownish red this am. She is eating the starter food well no and drinking. Still not moving much. Coccidosis? Start treatment? If so do I treat all of them? I have 4 pullets. Two golden sex link, one Rhode Island Red and one Americauna.

I have similar question. One of my chicks, approx 12 weeks old may have coccidosis. She was lethargic, sitting down and not eating. She is,always,easy to handle but she would just sit in your hands slumped. I separated her, gave her water, yogurt, poly-vi-sol and watched her poop. I saw slight red in one, mostly solid and a watery, brownish red this am. She is eating the starter food well no and drinking. Still not moving much. Coccidosis? Start treatment? If so do I treat all of them? I have 4 pullets. Two golden sex link, one Rhode Island Red and one Americauna.

Welcome to BYC.

If you suspect cocci, then treating with Corid won't hurt. Treating all of them if they are together is best.

Make sure she is drinking. If you don't see improvement in a few days, post back starting your own thread, listing symptoms with photos if possible.

I hope she gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom