Help! Possible fused hock joint or slipped tendon

lily12700

Hatching
Jul 19, 2023
IMG_4067.jpeg
Photo attached above for reference, this little love is a pure Indian runner, under 48hours old.

Unfortunately she’s hatched with her leg stuck like this.. unsure if it is a fused joint or slipped tendon at this point.. joint is rather stiff, not a whole lot of movement, can very gently stretch but not much more than that.

Any advice would be much appreciated, not looking to euthanise.

I have not had this in any of my ducklings but I found this info may be worth trying
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...of-slipped-tendons-in-bantam-duckling.987977/
a lot of good information here. I hope it helps you and your little Runner.
So I have determined it is definitely a fused joint, there is very very little movement in her hock joint, I also posted this on Facebook and have had many comments saying to euthanise but have decided against it as I’ve seen some great threads on here suggesting if she is happy, healthy and pain free there is no need to. And she is happy healthy and pain free, she’ll just need alittle more assistance.

Good for you many members have handicapped birds and want to give them a fighting chance. You sound like just the member that will do this. ♥️
Please keep us updated.

Good for you many members have handicapped birds and want to give them a fighting chance. You sound like just the member that will do this. ♥️
Please keep us updated.
Don’t worry I will! Both me and my partner have been trying to condition her with water so she is more confident in it so she can be a duck lol! Water therapy seems to be helping the joint some more, even though it’s fused when she uses it in water it gives alittle more ‘give’ if that makes sense, alittle more stretch which is always a good sign

Back
Top Bottom