Help possible parasite!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bubblez89, Aug 7, 2014.

1. bubblez89

bubblez89 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Right I need help!
    I have a group of 4 Chinese painted quail (3 hens 1 cock).
    I have just taken away 20 eggs as they stopped sitting and started scattering around the aviary. As routine I candled the eggs to see if they were fertile (more than half were) but all were healthy ordinary eggs except 1!
    This egg looks to be infertile BUT somebody else's eggs are inside it!! I would take a picture but my best candeling torch is my phone... Sorry! Will try to get one tho!
    So the egg is almost completely clear apart from what looks like a bunch of clear eggs all stuck together. I have no idea what this is and have tried to research online with nothing coming up! I'm thinking a type of worm as I have a problem with slugs entering the aviary at night and I know these carry worms for dogs to imagine it's the same for birds. If anyone has seen this before please let me know what you know about this. Also I am in the uk if you have any advise on good parasite products I would appreciate it!
    Forgot to say I will be cracking the egg to see what's inside so I will post a picture of that if they are visible without candeling. Thanks for any help!!

2. bubblez89

bubblez89 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    I've managed to take a picture!! The eggs float around inside the egg as when I move the egg they follow! Sorry it's not very clear but it's the best I could do[​IMG]

3. bubblez89

bubblez89 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Ok false alarm upon cracking the egg all that was unusual inside was a group of air bubbles! So I researched that and found a picture similar to mine and it's basically a ruptured air sac so guessing that was just a bad egg! Now my panic is over but I guess I've given any other newbies an insight if this ever happens to them [​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  5. bubblez89

bubblez89 New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Thank you [​IMG] I'm new to this site I've read many forums on here but only just registered still trying to work it all lol

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Great that you joined us!! Kelsie gave you a good link.

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Enjoy your quail! I keep Bobwhites. Quail are such fun little birds to keep.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a chicken person and don't know much about quail (never had any), but Kelsie2290 has given you the link to our quail experts. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in hatching your quail eggs.

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Bubblez thank you, that is how we learn - newbies or oldies - there is always something we haven't encountered before.

Could you put out saucers of stale beer around the -outside -perimeter of your aviary. It is said to lure slugs and allegedly they fall in and drown. Bet they are smiling tho. Maybe there is a bonus to that too. If predators are snooping and get inebriated, they will be much easier to dispatch permanently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by