Help! Poults not doing well

nursemomab

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2015
We hatched out our very first 3 turkey poults a few days ago. We've only ever hatched chicks and have had great success with them. We moved them to a brooder with the chicks that hatched out with them last night. We dipped each beak in the water (with electrolyte) and the turkey poult feed. Last night they appeared to be great. Chicks were eating and drinking. But now I'm concerned that 2 of our poults are starving out. They are so weak today. I've tried helping them drink and eat this morning but I'm worried that they will not survive. Any tips to ensure poults don't starve out?! Our chicks have always been great to eat and drink after moving to the brooder. The temp in brooder appears to be good according to their behavior. Any tips or advice would be appreciated! We have another 13 turkey eggs due to hatch in 2 weeks and want to ensure we are prepared to ensure the poults survive.

Turkey poults need to be taught to eat and drink, it takes about a week. Put shiny glass stones in the water and food to draw their attention. A couple times a day you will need to use your finger to tap at the food and water, I make a peeping sound, they should try to eat where you tap. After about a week the seem to get it. Chicks are hatched with instinct, poults are hatched ready to learn. They are different. Put some time in and your poults should eat well. I personally put a teaspoon of brown sugar to a quart of water for quick energy during the first week. Also make sure your brooder is about 100 degrees the first week, they get chilled easily.

Sometimes when the poults don't eat the chicken feed, I give them hard boiled eggs. I crumble it into small pieces they can eat and put them on a plastic lid or container, and use my finger to tap on the container like "olhenlikesdogs" said, I also make a sound that they can hear and associate with feed time. I make a clucking sound and they perk up and come to the food.
As last resource, if they still don't eat, get a syringe and dissolve some feed mixed with some vitamins and force feed them.

Back
Top Bottom