Help! Prolapse??

Tgmcr

Chirping
Jul 29, 2019
I just went to check on my girls and I believe one had a prolapsed vent. I have never dealt with or seen one in person but I’m fairly certain that is what this is. How can I help her? She’s acting totally normal as of right now but I’m going to grab her and separate her so no one picks at her until I know what to go for treatment

Attachments

• F9895457-247D-41BC-9460-0F8C4AC27318.jpeg
    F9895457-247D-41BC-9460-0F8C4AC27318.jpeg
    882.6 KB · Views: 20
I just went to check on my girls and I believe one had a prolapsed vent. I have never dealt with or seen one in person but I’m fairly certain that is what this is. How can I help her? She’s acting totally normal as of right now but I’m going to grab her and separate her so no one picks at her until I know what to go for treatment
I agree, she's prolapsing. Also looks like there is an egg (?) in there too.
I would separate her out and carefully try to help remove that egg, use a lubricant if you need to - honey, coconut oil, ky jelly, prep H, vaseline....what you have on hand. Hopefully the tissue will go back in once the egg is removed.
IF it doesn't go back in by itself after you help get the egg out and she's not lethargic, then give her a clean up if needed (you can use a warm epsom salts soak if needed) pat dry and apply one of those lubricants to the exposed tissue. You don't want any exposed tissue drying out.

Keep her hydrated and give her some extra calcium - calcium helps with retention. TUMS or if you have it Caltrate with D3.

Let us know how she's doing.

Well I went to go grab her and the prolapse was...gone? But she has a VERY swollen abdomen. I’m assuming she is egg bound? (Another thing I have yet to deal with) I soaked her in warm water with Epsom salt for about 20 minutes. I can’t see the egg but can feel it when I massage her abdomen. I put her inside a dark room in a dog crate with a warm towel. I also have her nutridrench. Is there anything else i should do for her? I’m afraid to go in and break the egg so I don’t know if I should let her try first or if I should intervene

Give her the calcium that @Wyorp Rock recommended. Tums or human calcium tablet or other. Calcium helps the muscles contract. That and getting her to drink some fluids might help her pass the egg. Some people have them set on a warm towel or use a heat pad on low, to rekax them enough to lay the egg. Some use a warm shallow soak for 15-20 minutes to help pass the egg. Good luck.

Prolapses can recur in hens. They can occur with or without an egg stuck. The cloaca has an opening for eggs to pass from the oviduct, and another opening for the intestines. If she prolapses again you may need to try and find the opening to the oviduct. Here is a good video of how someone got an egg out of a prolapse:

I gave her a tums yesterday after her soak and kept her in a crate with a warm towel. She didn’t pass the egg so this morning I soaked again. She’s still eating/drinking and alert which is good but I’m worried about the egg. Is there something else I should do?

Back
Top Bottom