HELP Puffy, somewhat lethargic, 6-month old Cream Leg Bar with Pasty Butt—Have tried many things, but not much improvement—Help!

balletchickenmom

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2024
Nashville, TN
Hi, this 6 month old chicken has been exhibiting these symptoms for the past week-week and a half. She's been puffed up, lethargic and I have noticed a pasty butt on her vent area.
I have separated her and she is now inside so I can monitor her progress a little more/see if she was just cold, she is not ducking her head in (it's been very cold), but is still puffed up and I noticed she is pooping practically clear liquid/not eating or drinking, but this may be a result of her being separated from the flock. She seemed to be eating at least when she was in the coop. Her bottom now looks hunched and her tail is also dropped.

I have done the following things:
  • I have administered Corrid into the whole flocks water-for 5 days and she was getting syringe fed the diluted solution. This occasionally seemed to help, but it hasn't really
  • Given her an epsom salt bath—and chicken for any egg binding, but she isn't laying yet so that wouldn't be a thing.
  • When I have hand fed her treats like mealworms-those she does seem to eat.
  • I felt around her crop area, and idk why but her crop seems very high up and almost like an "esophagus level" is that common for her breed? She's our only cream leg bar so when I've felt our other chickens who are all their normal selfs, the crop is lower to the right.
I do have safeguard but was trying to give her a break in between the medicines. Should I go ahead and just give it to her at this point? Any other suggestions? How does one treat a chicken with a pasty butt. I adore this gal a lot, her and I have bonded through this process and I'd hate to loose her.

I've attached some images of the things I described below
IMG_5277.jpg
IMG_5291.jpg

Last edited:
Probiotics, like Greek yogurt, buttermilk, fermented feed/grain, Hydro-Hen or other powders in water, are some examples, that could help the pasty butt and crop issues.

We have more knowledgeable experts here than I that hopefully can advise you beyond that.

I hope you figure it out and she gets better!

Hard to know if she has a reproductive problem or infection, intestinal infection, crop disorder, or a combination of those. I would go ahead and use the SafeGuard just to cover bases. Check her crop each morning before she eats or drinks to see if it is emptying. Does her crop feel full and puffy soft, liquidy, doughy, or firm? Does she seem to have a lot of fat on her, or does her lower belly seem enlarged? Can you offer some mushy wet chicken feed with a little plain yogurt, or some scrambled soft egg? If you should lose her in the future, the best way to know what was wrong would be to get a necropsy through your state vet lab. I have done some home necropsies when I have lost hens, and some things have been fairly obvious, but the state vets are the best.

Hard to know if she has a reproductive problem or infection, intestinal infection, crop disorder, or a combination of those. I would go ahead and use the SafeGuard just to cover bases. Check her crop each morning before she eats or drinks to see if it is emptying. Does her crop feel full and puffy soft, liquidy, doughy, or firm? Does she seem to have a lot of fat on her, or does her lower belly seem enlarged? Can you offer some mushy wet chicken feed with a little plain yogurt, or some scrambled soft egg? If you should lose her in the future, the best way to know what was wrong would be to get a necropsy through your state vet lab. I have done some home necropsies when I have lost hens, and some things have been fairly obvious, but the state vets are the best.
I'll go ahead and do the safeguard-I'm going to give her another epsom salt bath just so I can clean her bottom. Are safeguard and probiotics like yogurt safe to use?

Her crop (or I think it is? Seems enlarged and it is firm. That's why it almost seems like esophagus-y. Unless her crop is lower and this is something else. If it is her crop, it seems very high up on her neck (like in the picture above).

Back
Top Bottom