Help, pullet isn’t feeling well.

MrsBarefoot

Songster
Jun 22, 2020
Tampa, FL, US
Hello! I am hoping someone can help out here. Our pullet (she’s about 12-16 weeks) isn’t doing so well. Yesterday morning we found one dead and noticed not long after that this one is lethargic. When we brought her in she barely wanted to stand and didn't put up a fight. After giving her some "magic water" (a friend recommended it) She seemed to have gained some (not much) strength yesterday. I kept giving her magic water throughout the day. This morning shes about the same.
- I was told it cant be respiratory related bc there is no discharge.
- I was told it may be coccidiosis but there is no blood in stool so the person retracted that suggestion.

- Her crop isn’t huge and feels almost like a squish ball.
- She has pooped but very little, perhaps bc she hasn’t eaten much? Her poop is not really “chunky” consistency. It’s more of a paint splash look.
She did eat very little yesterday evening. Not sure if she has anymore since.

We had 6 pullets separated from our older girls because we were doing the “look but don’t touch method.” Since they were fully feathered now. They’re enclosure is fully ventilated. 4 of the 6 pullets appear chirpy and happy still (we brought them back inside as well but separated from the one who is in the photo).

Any advice, tips and suggestions are welcomed. Thank you in advance!

*note* the pullet that passed away was purchased from a different place than her. I’ve had them since they were about 2-3 days old.
FCAFD880-B2BA-493A-8BCA-9545E33C11BC.jpeg

If she hasn't been eating much I'd expect her crop to feel flat and empty, not like a "squish ball", so my best guess would be that she has some sort of obstruction or other issue slowing down digestion. To be sure this is the problem I would take away food overnight and check her crop in the morning. Also check her breath for a bad, fermented smell in case her crop has gone sour.

Did she become sick soon after moving outside? Any bad things the chicks could be eating in their enclosure (long grasses, toxins, dropped screws from construction, etc)? There are different types of coccidia and while it's common to see bloody/mucusy stool, sometimes it just causes watery diarrhea, so I wouldn't rule out coccidiosis, particularly since it's easy to treat for.

Here is a useful article about crop issues if you haven't seen it yet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

If she hasn't been eating much I'd expect her crop to feel flat and empty, not like a "squish ball", so my best guess would be that she has some sort of obstruction or other issue slowing down digestion. To be sure this is the problem I would take away food overnight and check her crop in the morning. Also check her breath for a bad, fermented smell in case her crop has gone sour.

Did she become sick soon after moving outside? Any bad things the chicks could be eating in their enclosure (long grasses, toxins, dropped screws from construction, etc)? There are different types of coccidia and while it's common to see bloody/mucusy stool, sometimes it just causes watery diarrhea, so I wouldn't rule out coccidiosis, particularly since it's easy to treat for.

Here is a useful article about crop issues if you haven't seen it yet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
Thank you so much for replying. She became sick soon after relocating her to the bottom of our bigger girl's coop. They were at first in a small enclosure but they outgrew it. We moved them last Saturday morning, then by this past Tuesday morning (5/23/2023) is when we discovered one that had died and her lethargic. That is about the only different thing we did that I can think of. I noticed that she is barely able to stand much as if she has lost strength in her legs. So far the other 4 pullets appear fine. I will remove the food tonight and check the crop in the morning. I started some vitamin supplements to see if it would help. We are on day 3 of giving her Corid. I was instructed to give her .3ml of it 1x a day. My nose is actually stuffy so I can't smell her breath. I will see who in the house doesn't have a stuffy nose (horrible pollen in FL right now). Once again, thank you. I figured if we try everything we can and by Monday she is looking worse or has little to no improvement, we may have to put her down (if she is still alive by then). Don't want her suffering anymore than what she has as is.

I hope she starts improving soon. Be sure none of the vitamin supplements you're giving have thiamin (B1) as it may interfere with the Corid. If she does have a slow crop you could try feeding some oil (solidified coconut oil is easiest imo) and a crop massage and/or a flush with 1 teaspoon epsom salt in 1/2 cup water. If she seems very weak doses of sugar water a few times a day might help her along. Also, I'm guessing florida is pretty warm right now, but try to keep her somewhere around 75-80 degrees as sick chickens have a hard time regulating their temperature.

Thank you! I will check the vitamins here soon. We brought her and the others inside (she’s separate from them). Warm is an understatement in FL lol It’s already in 80-90 weather.
I will definitely try your advise. Truly appreciate it. Will update post on what happens.

Back
Top Bottom