Help! Quail chick runny poop? Cocci?

Anonymous 123

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
Hi! So I hatched a batch of quails two days ago. I ended up with 4. Yesterday i noticed some mushy oily poop from one of my quail chicks the rest had solid poops.Today everyone is pooping mushy brown oily poops. I examined each poop for blood, i dont see any. All chicks are eating, drinking and are active. I was wondering if it is cocci,but there is no blood in their poop. I try to keep their brooder as clean as possible. In the picture i attached, you see that there is a brown spot next to the waterer. I cleaned up the accual poop, but that is the oily part im guessing?? Recently the oily part of their poops are more yellowish. Thank you so much! (I added a close up of a dropping)

Attachments

• 9B6E5E3A-1EEC-4E1A-9B34-0EAB6C239C29.jpeg
    9B6E5E3A-1EEC-4E1A-9B34-0EAB6C239C29.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 80
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Those are caecal poops. Every five or so poops is the result of them voiding their caeca (organ used to digest fibrous plants), and is softer, browner, and smellier.
Three days old is around the correct age for the caeca to start working. Normal, healthy thing to see!

Those are caecal poops. Every five or so poops is the result of them voiding their caeca (organ used to digest fibrous plants), and is softer, browner, and smellier.
Three days old is around the correct age for the caeca to start working.
Thanks so much! I was really worried- I read that they have cecal poops from every 8-10 poops, but all their poops look like this...

Thanks so much! I was really worried- I read that they have cecal poops from every 8-10 poops, but all their poops look like this...
Baby chicks can drink a lot because of the heat they need to be brooded in, and poop a lot, so their poop can even be foamy and liquidy.
It’s worse to see them not pooping, or if the poop is green or bloody. The pale brown is okay, do keep an eye on them but my chicks generally go through this phase too.

Back
Top Bottom