HELP!!!!!!!!! Quail was acting funny (neurotic), hours later she had both eyes shut tight, huddled..

Crazy_Quail_Lady

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Ontario, Canada
My Coop
My Coop
Sorry if this looks odd, I'm new here (signed up 10 mins ago a few hours ago now because I accidentally posted in the chicken forum?) and this is my first post...
Raising quail in my LR for the past year and yesterday one hen was acting funny (neurotic), hours later she had both eyes shut tight, huddled in the corner.. I've separated her and another that had popcorned herself till she damaged her beak and ended up with a bloody nose (the day before)..
First quail has one eye shut, but has opened it briefly here and there, second one however, both eyes sealed shut.
I took her to the sink last night and put warm wet papertowel compress on eyes (also there was slight blood on her beak).. what's happening?!
Other 2 hens and rooster are fine?!
I'm worried she's not eating or drinking because she can't see? Or is she sick? I've searched Google and Google doesn't know! HELP!
Also she seems to be fine other than her eyes being shut, she's not doing much because she can't see.. she stood up when I came in the room humming and I know she hears me.

Sorry if this looks odd, I'm new here (signed up 10 mins ago a few hours ago now because I accidentally posted in the chicken forum?) and this is my first post...
Raising quail in my LR for the past year and yesterday one hen was acting funny (neurotic), hours later she had both eyes shut tight, huddled in the corner.. I've separated her and another that had popcorned herself till she damaged her beak and ended up with a bloody nose (the day before)..
First quail has one eye shut, but has opened it briefly here and there, second one however, both eyes sealed shut.
I took her to the sink last night and put warm wet papertowel compress on eyes (also there was slight blood on her beak).. what's happening?!
Other 2 hens and rooster are fine?!
I'm worried she's not eating or drinking because she can't see? Or is she sick? I've searched Google and Google doesn't know! HELP!
Also she seems to be fine other than her eyes being shut, she's not doing much because she can't see.. she stood up when I came in the room humming and I know she hears me.

Hmm it's possible her eyes are fine and she's closing them (or sometimes one) because she's either lethargic and/or in pain. :/

Is it possible she could have hit her head and is now recovering from that? Might explain that bit of blood, meaning a blunt contact with the roof or something else as she was coming down, you did mention that another quail hurt herself by popcorning, I like to use cardboard boxes I recycle afterwards or soft Tupperware in my cages as opposed to wood or metal which can injure when they hop around in fun or flush.

If you have a hard roof you could put some foam/zip tie some netting a few inches below it like I've done in this rabbit cage,

If a head bump is the case, she would appreciate some TLC as you've been doing, maybe she has a wicked headache and other stuff going on.

How long has it been since she's eaten/had a drink? :(

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    521.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    605.8 KB · Views: 11
I'd try to feel the area below her vent, to make sure she's not egg bound. If you feel anything that could be an egg, search this forum for 'egg bound quail' and you should get plenty of posts telling you what to do.

Hmm it's possible her eyes are fine and she's closing them (or sometimes one) because she's either lethargic and/or in pain. :/

Is it possible she could have hit her head and is now recovering from that? Might explain that bit of blood, meaning a blunt contact with the roof or something else as she was coming down, you did mention that another quail hurt herself by popcorning, I like to use cardboard boxes I recycle afterwards or soft Tupperware in my cages as opposed to wood or metal which can injure when they hop around in fun or flush.

If you have a hard roof you could put some foam/zip tie some netting a few inches below it like I've done in this rabbit cage,

If a head bump is the case, she would appreciate some TLC as you've been doing, maybe she has a wicked headache and other stuff going on.

How long has it been since she's eaten/had a drink? :(
It's hard to say when she ate last as I'm in the middle of packing/hunting down a place to live as I need to move in a month.. I was out most of yesterday. By the time I got home it was very late and she was perched upright when I checked so I didn't bother her for fear to frighten her.
This morning I've taken her to the sink and ran the warm water in the bathroom sink while she stood on a paper towel and I drizzled water over her head.. she got some to drink too.
I wrapped her in a hand towel and dried her with rubs and massages while she twittered away softly to me..
Now she's snuggled in on my lap in my bedroom and we are sitting in front of the window getting fresh air and listening to the birds outside.
She seems very content.
She is very relaxed with me right now.. like unusually so.
But her eyes are still closed and they look to be sealed shut!?
I tried to feed her a piece of lettuce but she won't open her beak for it. :(

I'd try to feel the area below her vent, to make sure she's not egg bound. If you feel anything that could be an egg, search this forum for 'egg bound quail' and you should get plenty of posts telling you what to do.

How do I know where to look? I've never felt around there before.. ? But I'm sure she'll let me because she's so docile right now..

Here is Phoenix and my 2 assistants.

Attachments

• 20170520_071909.jpg
    20170520_071909.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170520_071948.jpg
    20170520_071948.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20170520_074249.jpg
    20170520_074249.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20170520_073337.jpg