Help!!! Quails aren't laying anymore!!??

jobanhang93

Hatching
Aug 14, 2016
Hello everyone!
I have about a good 100 Texas A&M quails and just about a week ago, they were laying really good for me (about 35-40 eggs a day.) I did move them from their laying cages to a shed I made because I wanted my quails to feel more freedom and enjoy their lives as much as possible before their cull in October. They have plenty of space, 14 hours of lighting, a 28% game bird feed, separate container with oyster shells for my ladies, and an unlimited supply of water. I don't know where I went wrong??
Is it because I moved them to a bigger area? There's been allot less fighting amongst the males, they've all healed up fine after I moved them so I assumed they're happy! They're still breeding, I see it often. The only thing I'm bummed out about is how my egg production went from 40 eggs a day to 15 eggs a day. I thought maybe they just needed to settle in first, so maybe give them a few more weeks? Any suggestions right now will help.
Thanks!

I have mine in a large aviary. When I have to muck out the bedding my egg production drops to half for 2 to 3 days. Coturnix do not like change, it causes stress which affects laying. The move is the likely suspect.

Last edited:
Hi

Been quailing for few years now and one thing i learned at the start is that quails stop laying eggs if their home is changed. I have not moved my quails for the last two years and have no problems with their egg laying.

Also when the bedding is changed (I use deep litter) make sure you use the same materials

Also keep them happy with a bucket of sand as they love that stuff

Hi

Been quailing for few years now and one thing i learned at the start is that quails stop laying eggs if their home is changed. I have not moved my quails for the last two years and have no problems with their egg laying.

Also when the bedding is changed (I use deep litter) make sure you use the same materials

Also keep them happy with a bucket of sand as they love that stuff

So do you think they'll stop laying for this year? Or how long are they going to take until they start laying again?
Changing their being once a week us probably bothering them too?

Hi. When I had this problem, somr stopped laying for few weeks whilst others much longer. Here in the UK we normally have a four month window for them to lay. Mine usually lay one a day during this time sometimes two each

You must have a lot of time to change their bedding once a week. With deep litter - as I don't like keeping them on wires - I change mine once every two months and there is no smell
My coop is on concrete and raised on a wooden board so it does not get wet

Back
Top Bottom