HELP! Quick! Penicillin question!

clogan98

Songster
7 Years
Jul 18, 2012
Torrington, CT
My daughter's three week old chick was just bitten by the cat. I got her away quickly and she has one small puncture would on her back. After reading up here I did go get some penicillin but I don't know how much to give?! Please, does anyone know?

wished i could help you.i'am sure someone on byc will help you with that question.in the mean time go to the search bar on byc and type in your question.

For a full grown chicken, the dosage of injectable penicillin is 1/2cc per day for 5 days...tablet form would be one tablet per day for 5 days. You will need to work this down for a 3 week old chick. I would imagine a 1/4 of these dosages might be effective??

I gave .2 CC. That's pretty much the smallest dose I could give. I injected into the thigh muscle. I checked to make sure I wasn't in a vein and went for it. (i couldn't find any breast muscle?!) A drop of blood afterwards and she's slightly acting like that leg is hurt. Walking fine, but picking it up and stretching it then looking at it funny. I'm so worried. This is our favorite chick. It's actually my daughter's. It's our Buff Orpington. She's also at the top of the pecking order (I know it's early, but she is!). I rinsed and flushed out the wound very well. Applied antibacterial cleanser (for animals). I tried to cover it by wrapping vetwrap around it but she doesn't like it and I think the less stress on her the better right now. The others pecked for a few seconds because her feathers were wet, but there is no pecking going on right now. No blood anywhere to intrigue them. She's been kind of sleepy but I've been trying to get her to eat and drink. I added Save-A-Chick to the water for electrolytes. She did begin to eat. I haven't seen her drink yet. I'm doing everything I can possibly think of. These are our first chicks. I'm devastated.
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom