HELP QUICK!

ILikeBirds

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 11, 2014
SW Washington
I was taking a look at my chicks earlier and noticed that one had a peanut sized clump of poop stuck to her back toe, so I soaked it and warm soapy water and slowly picked it off. But the toe has an hole in it and I really don't know what to do. Please help!

Last edited:
Do you have any cleaner to spray on the cut? That would help. Good Luck!
smile.png

I need help too. My hen check is swollen
I spoke to my friend who's in a veterinary school and although she doesn't have much experience with chickens specifically, she gave me some tips. In my case she suggested cleaning it with soapy water twice a day and keeping it moist and wrapped in neosporin. She mentioned that my chicks foot looked like it was in pretty bad condition, but she might be okay.

She did advise me of course not to use rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide as those will kill white blood cells that are actually repairing the wound. I already knew this, but I did wash my chicks foot down with rubbing alcohol initially to get all of those bad bacteria's out of the wound from the feces.

If everything goes down hill from here with my girl and the infection spreads up here toe, I think I might throw a hail Mary and cut off the infected part of her toe, and quatorize the wound.

I'll keep you guys updates for personal interest or future reference for anyone else.

So take her to a vet, but is it fatal and it happen so quickly

There are several things that can cause facial swelling. She may have scratched her eye or been bitten or stung, quarantine is just a precaution If you have an avian vet nearby they would be able to direct you to the correct course of action and antibiotics to use. Alternatively you could start her on a course of tylan .

Back
Top Bottom